Senior Actuarial Analyst, Personal Property Lines
Job ID : 6998
Category : Personal Insurance
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Toronto, Canada
Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leaders partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
Reporting to the Pricing Director, your responsibilities include contributions to pricing projects using state of the art actuarial models and innovative approaches as well as the coaching and mentoring of less experienced analysts. Projects are varied and include tackling of natural catastrophe perils, development of new tools/processes, development of rating structures and monitoring/reporting on overall rate adequacy. In this role, you will have exposure to rating and product development work in personal property lines (national), with valuable project leadership opportunities, exposure to higher management and career development potential.
What can you expect in this role?
- Work on diversified and unique key business initiatives ranging from diagnostics to creating new pricing
- Participate in creating solutions for current and emerging trends
- Participate in high exposure cross-departmental projects
- Engage with internal and external stakeholders
- Identify opportunities for process efficiencies across business areas
- Develop knowledge of actuarial operations and the insurance business, including predictive modeling, underwriting, claims handling, and product development
- Develop and apply your experience with database and predictive modeling software to prepare and analyze data for profitability analysis and other diverse applications
- Effectively manage timelines for independent projects and analysis
- Communicate actuarial concepts and make recommendations to management both verbally and in writing with supporting documentation
- Measure, track, and monitor company and industry performance
- Perform peer reviews on the technical and qualitative analysis of peers
What do you bring to the role?
- University degree in any one of the following programs: Actuarial Sciences, Mathematics, Statistics
- Completion of 4-6 exams of the Casualty Actuarial Society
- 2-5 years of relevant experience full time experience
- Strong programming skills, including knowledge of SAS and efficient use of Microsoft applications (Excel, Access, VBA, etc.)
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Able to perform well in a busy operation and remain calm under pressure
- Team player, adaptable to a changing and fast-paced environment
Salary range is $68,100 - $136,200.
Actual salary for the role may vary depending on work location of the successful candidate and other factors including but not limited to, skills, education, experience, working conditions and the local labour market. In addition to base pay, eligible employees may participate various incentive plans which are paid out at the discretion of the company and subject to individual and company performance.
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).