Job ID : 6985
Category : Finance
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Waterloo, Canada
Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leaders partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
The Manager - Taxation is a key team member in the finance organization at Definity. This person is responsible for providing corporate tax compliance (income and other compliance filings) and tax planning services to Definity Financial Corporation (“DFC”) and its subsidiaries. The Manager will be responsible for preparing quarterly tax provisions and analysis for the company; this will involve working closely with the broader Financial Reporting group to ensure the financial statements contain accurate tax provision numbers as well as required tax disclosures. They will also be responsible for the review of the work of other members of the tax team each quarter. The Tax Manager will ensure any new tax legislation as well as relevant accounting and regulatory changes are evaluated and researched and that conclusions are communicated to relevant parties. In addition, this role will manage governmental income tax audits. Under the direction of the Director of Taxation, this role will support corporate initiatives including, but not limited to mergers, acquisitions, dispositions and other tax planning initiatives. Demonstrating subject matter expertise and leadership supporting the Finance Group in its' employee engagement activities and providing tax support to the Business in its initiatives is a must.
What can you expect in this role?
- Being a key part of a technically strong and supportive finance team in a dynamic and growing public company
- Income Tax Compliance
- Preparation, review and filing of DFC & its subsidiaries income tax returns, information returns & elections with federal and provincial authorities
- Determining monthly instalments and final payments for the DFC & its subsidiaries
- Assist in responding to queries from external and government auditors and
- Supporting international tax compliance and FATCA reporting, as required
- Income Tax Provisions
- Preparation of the income tax provisions and related note disclosures in the Financial Statements for the more complex entities
- Review of income tax provisions and note disclosures of subsidiaries in the group
- Technical support and advice regarding changes in tax accounting or other IFRS changes that could have an impact on tax reporting and disclosures
- Tax research and memo writing - re: tax accounting, income tax compliance positions and tax planning. Ensure that the positions are communicated to the appropriate internal stakeholders.
- Provide tax due diligence for corporate transactions including mergers, acquisitions and providing tax support for corporate reorganizations
- Ensuring that tax accounting or tax legislation changes and/or Business driven projects are properly assessed and supported from a tax perspective.
- Communicate new developments, including changes in legislation, budgets, tax accounting and regulatory changes to the appropriate internal stakeholders
- People Responsibilities
- Build positive and collaborative working relationships in Finance and with the Business
- Partnership with Finance and the Business to support their initiatives from a tax perspective
- Development of staff (finance/other) to increase their tax knowledge
- Continuous process improvement - recommend strategies and/or processes to increase efficiency (eg technology, process changes, etc)
What do you bring to this role?
- CPA Designation and experience in tax at a mid-large CPA firm
- Strong knowledge of corporate income tax, with a focus on tax planning and accounting for income taxes under IFRS
- Completion or near completion of CPA Canada In-Depth Tax Course
- Knowledge of the Income Tax Act and tax planning/transaction experience
- Ability to perform tax research, analysis, and conclusions re: Income Tax
- Experience with Canadian insurance taxation is an asset
- Knowledge of international tax issues such as FATCA, Transfer Pricing, and U.S. tax legislation is not required but is considered an asset.
- Superior communication (verbal and written) and relationship building skills
- Effective time management skills and a commitment to meeting regulatory deadlines
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple priorities and consistently meet deadlines
- Strong commitment to professionalism and a team player
Salary range is $75,700 - $152,300
Actual salary for the role may vary depending on work location of the successful candidate and other factors including but not limited to, skills, education, experience, working conditions and the local labour market. In addition to base pay, eligible employees may participate various incentive plans which are paid out at the discretion of the company and subject to individual and company performance.
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).