Data Privacy Manager, Enterprise Data Office
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID : 6947
Category : Finance
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Waterloo, Canada
Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leaders partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
Definity's Enterprise Data Office (EDO) is dedicated to facilitating the governance and responsible management of data and driving initiatives to operationalize and embed data and information governance capabilities across the organization. This role is a key member of the EDO and is primarily responsible for leading the efforts to define, track, and report on data governance and management activities to drive maturity. Reporting directly to the Director, EDO this role will be crucial in driving the company's pursuit of becoming a data driven organization.
The Privacy Manager is responsible for leading privacy operations and supporting compliance with data protection & privacy laws and regulations in various jurisdictions. They get advice on privacy laws and regulation from the legal department and assist in the development and implementation of privacy policies, procedures, and practices while monitoring compliance with privacy controls. This role collaborates with different departments to promote privacy-by-design principles and provides guidance and training to employees on privacy and data protection matters. The Privacy Manager conducts risk assessments, audits, and privacy impact assessments to identify areas for improvement. They assist in the implementation of privacy tools, support privacy incident response procedures, and manage postmortem activities. Overall, the Privacy Manager plays a crucial role in supporting privacy compliance throughout the organization and fostering a culture of privacy and data protection.
What can you expect in this role?
- Perform privacy impact assessments and evaluate privacy risks. Provide business and technology partners with recommendations to mitigate privacy risk that should be embedded within their projects design and requirements.
- Assist in the design, development, implementation, and review of privacy policies, procedures, and practices. Stay updated on business operations and initiatives and promote privacy-by-design principles in product lifecycle management. Develop, review, and monitor compliance with privacy controls.
- Monitor and ensure compliance with data protection, privacy, and cyber security laws and regulations in Canada, and other relevant jurisdictions based on advice from the legal department.
- Collaborate with various departments and business leaders to ensure privacy compliance throughout the organization. Assist in the implementation of privacy tools to support a privacy program. Conduct risk assessments and audits to identify areas for improvement in privacy compliance.
- Provide guidance and training to employees on privacy and data protection matters.
- Support privacy incident response procedures and manage postmortem activities.
What do you bring to the role?
- University degree required; MBA is an asset
- Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP) certification is an asset
- Minimum of 3 years of experience as a privacy manager or similar role
- Strong understanding of relevant data protection, privacy, and security laws and regulations in Canada, especially Quebec, other regions is an asset
- Experience with conducting privacy risk assessments and audits
- Experience in administering privacy software tools
- Ability to collaborate effectively with other departments and stakeholders
- Ability to work independently and prioritize workload to achieve personal and company objectives
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
Salary range is $75,700 - $152,300
Actual salary for the role may vary depending on work location of the successful candidate and other factors including but not limited to, skills, education, experience, working conditions and the local labour market. In addition to base pay, eligible employees may participate various incentive plans which are paid out at the discretion of the company and subject to individual and company performance.
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).