Team Leader, Underwriting Processing
Job ID : 6904
Category : Commercial Insurance
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : North York, Canada
Economical is part of Definity, which includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, Definity has grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leaders partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
What can you expect in this role?
- You’ll develop, coach/mentor and manage the performance of Direct Reports, including achievement of business, functional and individual productivity levels and service level agreements
- You’ll continuously focus on supporting our culture of high performance and sustained profitable growth by promoting and supporting an environment that encourages innovation, collaboration and teamwork
- You’ll complete Quality Reviews in support of the Technical processing teams
- You’ll work with the regional CI managers and the Director - Technical Processing, Ontario Region to forecast demand for Technical Processing capacity and manage scheduling for Direct Reports (e.g., vacation scheduling, training scheduling, paid and unpaid personal leave, etc.), with input and guidance from HR
- You’ll create and maintain Standard Operating Procedure documents for new or existing processes.
- You’ll support Onboarding requirements in collaboration with Senior leaders and HR
What do you bring to the role?
- University degree or College diploma
- 3-5 years of relevant insurance experience, including 1-3 years of formal / informal supervisory experience managing a team of resources in the Commercial Insurance industry
- Strong customer service, verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent decision making and underwriting skills, sound judgement, negotiation and analytical abilities.
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).