Specialist, Inside Investigation - Underwriting
Job ID : 6921
Category : Claims
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Calgary, Canada
Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leaders partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
Develop investigation strategies to eliminate or verify whether fraud indicators detected are supported through investigation. Investigations within the Specialized Handling Unit are mainly project based, this position will be developing investigation strategies, ordering, and analyzing expert and other reports, conducting open-source intelligence and social media searches on topics related to investigations, contacting police or other government agencies while conducting underwriting investigations.
What can you expect in this role?
- Report to the Team Leader – SIU Specialized Handling Unit
- Identification and development of actions plans for emerging trends with fraud networks
- Complete detailed investigations of claims-underwriting.
- Provide tactical support to SIU Field Investigations
- Develop and implement strategies and frameworks to support profitable growth and performance and mitigate against risk.
- Develop, oversee, and coordinate the delivery of quality/fraud underwriting centric investigations and Projects.
- Conducts regular portfolio analysis of the book of business through review of aggregate data and metrics to identify emerging risks (in partnership with analytics team)
- Generates reports to identify exceptions/other indicators of quality issues and to identify suspicious broker behavior in Guidewire system or additional training opportunities for broker users.
- Review of group policies to correct poor quality and fraudulent information and improve Guidewire system controls to mitigate against the entry of poor quality and fraudulent data going forward.
What do you bring to the role?
- A university degree from an accredited university or a diploma from an accredited community college (Business or Economics). Completion of, working towards or a willingness to obtain their CIP designation
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience of underwriting experience
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office.
- Strong analytical capabilities and presentation skills.
- Understanding of personal and commercial products, underwriting systems, and quality review/audit
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).