Job ID : 6914
Category : Commercial Insurance
Brand : Economical
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Edmonton, Canada
Economical is part of Definity, which includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, Definity has grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leaders partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
What can you expect in this role?
- Assessing, accepting, and declining moderate to complex new business submissions, within assigned underwriting authority
- Re-underwriting and negotiating renewals and policy endorsements
- Ordering of inspections, financial reports, or other underwriting information for use in your analysis of critical risk hazards and decision making
- Negotiating the terms and conditions of risk acceptance with brokers in writing, by telephone, electronic mail or in person
- Participating in production calls on brokerage offices, as required
- Providing technical support to brokers
- Actively participating in weekly internal production meetings
- Mentoring and providing technical support to less experience team members
- Contribute to the profitable growth of the business by identifying the underlying factors that contribute to the profitability of a risk while demonstrating the ability to constructively engage, influence and negotiate to exceed broker needs and expectations.
- Demonstrate a strong market knowledge and visibility in the industry as a respected collaborator able to partner with brokers for the purpose of growing a profitable portfolio of business.
- Make underwriting and pricing decisions on individual risks, as well as underwriting the individual risk within the context of a broker's broader portfolio of business.
- Be accountable for the selection and proper rating of mid-market property insurance transaction types (e.g., applications, endorsements, renewals, cancellations, voids, reinstatements, etc.).
What do you bring to the role?
- University degree or a college diploma or the CIP designation is required
- Minimum of 3-5 years Commercial Automobile Fleet & Garage underwriting experience
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Professional friendly and courteous in all interactions, with both customers and co-workers
- Performs well in a busy environment and remains calm under pressure
- Team player adaptable to a changing environment
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong problem solving abilities
- Strong sales orientation
- Proven ability to develop and maintain positive broker relations
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).