Reporting Specialist - Winter 2024 Co-op/Intern
Job ID : 6893
Category : Claims
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Temporary
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Waterloo, Canada
Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leaders partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
YOUR NEXT CO-OP PLACEMENT
Work term: Winter (January to April)
Work term length: 4-month
From classroom to co-op to career, every step of your journey has an impact on your future. That’s why it makes sense to choose a co-op placement with a company that offers truly rewarding work and real-life experience. At Definity®, your contributions, creativity, and energy will be put to good use, and you’ll get to be involved with initiatives that support our strategic goals and use your skills in a supportive team environment.
If you’re looking for a company that takes care of its people — full time, part time, and co-ops alike — and has a track record of doing big things, get ready to love it here.
What can you expect in this role?
You will be responsible for turning data into meaningful insights and reporting. The key will be understanding the claims data and report the trends using visualization tools. This opportunity will place you at the forefront of leveraging data visualization tools and strategize the transformation of data into insights within Definity Claims Team.
- Discover opportunities to transform reports into dashboards to deliver more actionable insights and continuously improve the claims analytics environment
- Gather reporting or dashboarding requirements from stakeholders; steer meetings with data management team to understand data and facilitate meetings with business stakeholders to accurately assess the analytical need for building reports/dashboards
- Be passionate and creative in designing analytical wireframes and developing dashboards
- Recommend effective visual analytical solutions which drive an analytical mindset within the organization
- Conduct preliminary analyses on data involving basic statistical approaches and provides solutions to treat various data inconsistencies to support reporting integrity
- Organize data for use by other analyst roles and business users within Claims
- Support the business by developing and providing training and documentation on dashboards
What do you bring to the role?
- University or college degree in data analytics, big data analytics, business analysis or similar field, preferably masters or equivalent experience
- 1-2 years of experience of using Tableau to create dashboards and develop value-creating business insights from operational performance indicators and scorecards
- Experience using SQL to transform data from applications to provide summaries and aggregates
- Experience with MS Excel required – especially pivot tables, lookups, macros/VBA, PowerPivot
- Knowledge or experience with BigQuery ang Google Cloud Platform for analytics an asset
- Knowledge of agile methodology for analytics development; experience with JIRA & Confluence an asset
- Experience in the P&C Insurance industry is a strong asset
- Excellent communication and organizational skills; comfortable with ambiguity and ability to work independently with minimal supervision
Did you know?
- We care about our co-ops: Definity’s co-op students are considered the best pipeline of talent for our full-time, permanent positions.
- We care about students: Definity distributes $85,000 in scholarships to students across Canada each year.
- We care about our community: Definity donates more than $1 million every year to causes that drive true change in the neighbourhoods in which we live and work.
What can Definity offer you?
- Meaningful work forwarding our purpose of building a better world by helping our clients and communities adapt and thrive in their hardest times of need.
- Culture of accountability, empowerment, and collaboration.
- Opportunities to support personal and professional growth through real-life experience and unique learning opportunities. Our Leadership Essentials program builds knowledge and skills to Team Leaders to Directors
- Opportunity to join our employee groups - focused on women's empowerment, LGBTQ+, anti-racism and cultural equity, and environmental activism
- Determined to create positive change for our environment, our people, and our communities, now and in the future. Check our ESG work!
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).