Actuarial Analyst - Winter 2024 Co-op/Intern
Job ID : 6894
Category : Personal Insurance
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Temporary
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Waterloo, Canada
Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leaders partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
YOUR NEXT CO-OP PLACEMENT
Work term: Winter (January 8, 2024 Start Date)
Work term length: 4-month or 8-month or 12-month
From classroom to co-op to career, every step of your journey has an impact on your future. That’s why it makes sense to choose a co-op placement with a company that offers truly rewarding work and real-life experience. At Definity®, your contributions, creativity, and energy will be put to good use, and you’ll get to be involved with initiatives that support our strategic goals and use your skills in a supportive team environment.
If you’re looking for a company that takes care of its people — full time, part time, and co-ops alike — and has a track record of doing big things, get ready to love it here.
What can you expect in this role?
Reporting to an Actuarial Manager, you will play a key role in contributing to projects in personal or commercial pricing, reserving, financial planning and economic capital modelling using state of the art models and innovative approaches. You will develop deep knowledge of actuarial operations and the insurance business, including predictive modelling, underwriting, claims handling, product development, reserving, estimation of policy liabilities, planning and/or forecasting
What you’ll be doing:
- Develop and apply your experience with spreadsheets, databases, and statistical software to prepare and analyze data for profitability analysis and other diverse applications
- Learn to interpret and use results of new and innovative modelling techniques and analytics to drive business decisions
- Learn to produce various data exhibits and analysis to measure, track and monitor company and industry performance
- Learn to communicate actuarial concepts both verbally and in writing
- Respond to requests of internal and external stakeholders with support from more senior staff
What you bring:
- Currently enrolled in a university degree program in Actuarial Sciences, Mathematics, Statistics or other relevant discipline and still actively enrolled until at least January 2023
- Must have successfully completed at least 1 exam of the Casualty Actuarial Society and/or of an international actuarial organization equivalently recognized by the Casualty Actuarial Society
- Must possess strong programming skills, including knowledge of SAS, R and/or SQL , and efficient use of Microsoft applications (Excel,VBA, etc.);
- Knowledge of Emblem, Radar and/or ResQ is an asset
- Must have excellent problem solving, communication and organization skills
Did you know?
- We care about our co-ops: Definity’s co-op students are considered the best pipeline of talent for our full-time, permanent positions.
- We care about students: Definity distributes $85,000 in scholarships to students across Canada each year.
- We care about our community: Definity donates more than $1 million every year to causes that drive true change in the neighbourhoods in which we live and work.
What can Definity offer you?
- Meaningful work forwarding our purpose of building a better world by helping our clients and communities adapt and thrive in their hardest times of need.
- Culture of accountability, empowerment, and collaboration.
- Opportunities to support personal and professional growth through real-life experience and unique learning opportunities. Our Leadership Essentials program builds knowledge and skills to Team Leaders to Directors
- Opportunity to join our employee groups - focused on women's empowerment, LGBTQ+, anti-racism and cultural equity, and environmental activism
- Determined to create positive change for our environment, our people, and our communities, now and in the future. Check our ESG work!
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).