Actuarial Analyst, Full time New Graduate (May 2024 Start date)
Job ID : 6838
Category : Personal Insurance
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Waterloo, Canada
Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leaders partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
YOUR NEXT STEPS AS NEW GRADUATES
From classroom to career, every step of your journey has an impact on your future. That’s why it makes sense to choose a company that offers truly rewarding work and real-life experience. At Definity®, your contributions, creativity, and energy will be put to good use, and you’ll get to be involved with initiatives that support our strategic goals and use your skills in a supportive team environment.
If you’re looking for a company that takes care of its people — full time and part time alike — and has a track record of doing big things, get ready to love it here.
Start date: May 2024
Duration: Full Time Position
What you’ll be doing
- Parse, extract, manipulate and validate data
- Develop and apply information from spreadsheets, databases and statistical software to compile and categorize data used in reserving and profitability analysis
- Communicate basic actuarial concepts to other actuaries both verbally and in writing
- Produce various data exhibits and analyses relating to measuring, tracking and monitoring company and industry performance
- Respond to routine requests of internal and external stakeholders related to standard reports and processes with validation from senior staff
What you bring
- University degree in a quantitative field: Actuarial Sciences, Mathematics, Statistics
- Completion of 2 to 4 exams of the Casualty Actuarial Society
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Strong programming skills including efficient use of Microsoft applications (Excel, Access, VBA, etc.)
- Experience with SAS, Tableau, Python or R would be an asset
- Able to perform well in a busy operation and remain calm under pressure
- Team player, adaptable to a changing and fast-paced environment
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it:
Did you know?
- We care about our new graduates: Definity’s students are considered the best pipeline of talent for our full-time, permanent positions.
- We care about students: Definity distributes $85,000 in scholarships to students across Canada each year.
- We care about our community: Definity donates more than $1 million every year to causes that drive true change in the neighborhoods in which we live and work.
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).