Sr Underwriter, Farm
Job ID : 6861
Category : Commercial Insurance
Brand : Economical
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : London, Canada
Economical is part of Definity, which includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, Definity has grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leaders partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
What can you expect in this role?
- You’ll assess, accept, and decline new business submissions
- You’ll re-underwrite and negotiate renewals, and policy endorsements
- You’ll negotiate the terms and conditions of risk acceptance with brokers in writing, by telephone, electronic mail or in person
- You’ll develop and maintain positive broker relationships
- You’ll participate in production calls on brokerage offices, as required
- You’ll provide technical support to brokers
- You’ll build a pipeline for new and renewal business
- You’ll leverage tools, resources and reports to appropriately evaluate risks and make effective Underwriting decisions
- Participate in industry events, broker meetings and site visits/inspections
What do you bring to the role?
- You hold a University degree in any discipline or a 2-year diploma from a publicly recognized and funded college or a completed CIP designation
- You have a minimum of 5 years of experience in Commercial Lines/Farm underwriting Lines/Farm Underwriting)
- You’re professional, friendly and courteous in all interactions, with both customers and co-workers
- You perform well in a busy environment and remains calm under pressure
- You’re a team player that is adaptable to a changing environment
- You have strong written and verbal communication skills
- You have strong problem solving abilities
- You have well developed analytical skills.
- You can weigh many complex factors to ultimately make sound decisions, and explain your rationale
- Your work ethic drives you to take on challenges and see them through to completion
- You collaborate well will others, sharing your ideas, and listening to and integrating those of others
- You maintain excellent existing broker relationships and the proven ability to create and nurture new relationships
You possess the ability to successfully maneuver difficult conversations with ease while exercising empathy, patience, professionalism, and the use of positive language.
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).