Data Classification Specialist
Job ID : 6856
Category : Finance
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Toronto, Canada
Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leaders partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
Definity's Enterprise Data Office (EDO) is dedicated to facilitating the governance and responsible management of data and driving initiatives to operationalize and embed data and information governance capabilities across the organization. Reporting to the Manager, Data Governance and Strategy, the Data Classification Specialist is responsible for developing processes governing the classification of information housed on strategic data platforms: aligning these processes with external best practices and internal policies, operationalizing data loss prevention standards, monitoring progress, and improving our processes & standards over time.
What can you expect in this role?
- Lead review of current data classification criteria. Work to ensure it is aligned with external best practices and internal policies. Work with stakeholders to capture requirements and apply data classification and subsequently data loss prevention standards. Work on integration with current and future data products.
- Develop and maintain architecture diagrams and documentation of Data Loss Prevention solution in partnership with Technology Solutions.
- Actively engage with data stewards, stakeholders and management to assess maturity against revised criteria.
- Administer the data loss prevention solution, develop KPI's and reporting. Monitor and respond to incidents. Share recommendations to further identify sensitive data and strengthen data security controls.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements and to mature the company data lifecycle management.
What do you bring to the role?
- University degree required; computer science, mathematics, engineering, or information science preferred.
- Five (5) years of experience working in either business analysis, data analytics, data management and/or data governance related roles, preferably in the insurance or financial services industries. Strong analytical and judgement abilities.
- Experience with data loss prevention software like Amazon Macie or Google DLP & experience with data governance software (e.g., Collibra) is desired
- Planning and project management skills with a strong ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple deadlines and priorities; ability to manage functional programs independently. Strong self-direction and initiative; willingness to take complete ownership over projects and tasks.
- Proven ability to design, execute, and continuously improve business processes in a complex and challenging business environment. Experience communicating processes changes effectively to the business and generating user buy-in.
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).