Assistant, Underwriting 12 Month Contract
Job ID : 6845
Brand : Economical
Regular/Temporary : Temporary
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Ottawa, Canada
Economical is part of Definity, which includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, Definity has grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leaders partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
Reporting to the Team Leader, Technical Processing and you will be accountable for providing superior service in a processing role.
What can you expect in this role?
- Underwriting Assistant is an entry level processing role within the Regional Processing Center. Within this role you will begin to understand the underwriting processes and familiarize yourself with our guidelines and workflow in order to support completion of a variety of tasks.
- Working closely with the Underwriters and Technical Processing teams, ensuring work is accurately fully completed
- Contributing to achieving defined Service Level Agreements and Operating Level Agreements
- Meeting quality and production expectations on a regular basis
- Data entry into our policy systems, including some manual coding of off-system policies
- Order required reports on policies
- You’ll also help out with general office and other duties as required.
What do you bring to the role?
- Completed high school diploma and relevant work experience.
- Preference will be given to candidates with a post-secondary degree or diploma or willingness to complete a CIP designation.
- Professional, friendly, and courteous in all interactions, both within the company and our broker partners
- Able to prioritize and organize your day-to-day tasks, working efficiently to complete tasks
- Perform well in a busy environment and remain calm under pressure
- Team player adaptable to a changing environment
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Strong attention to detail, ensuring accuracy on transactions handled
- Strong computer skills including previous experience in working in case management tools, portals or databases will be an asset.
- Bilingual, written and spoken (French and English) will be considered an asset
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).