Claims Representative, Full-time New Graduate (May 2024 Start Date)
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID : 6823
Category : Claims
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Waterloo, Canada
Posting Range : $42,400 - $78,100
Definity is the parent company to some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative property and casualty insurers. We can’t do that without our people, so we embrace and encourage a culture that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
We offer a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Bring your true self and be a part of our journey. It’s better here.
YOUR NEXT STEPS AS NEW GRADUATES
From classroom to career, every step of your journey has an impact on your future. That’s why it makes sense to choose a company that offers truly rewarding work and real-life experience. At Definity®, your contributions, creativity, and energy will be put to good use, and you’ll get to be involved with initiatives that support our strategic goals and use your skills in a supportive team environment.
If you’re looking for a company that takes care of its people — full time and part time alike — and has a track record of doing big things, get ready to love it here.
What you’ll be doing
- The Claims department is at the heart of what we do, guiding our customers through the claims process every step of the way in moments that are often difficult and stressful for our customers. We strive to keep customers happy while restoring their properties, businesses, and lives.
- We work with vendors, lawyers, and many external partners to resolve claims professionally and efficiently — delivering on our promise to be there when our customers need us most. And when catastrophes strike, we're on the ground supporting our broker partners and customers.
- As part of the broader claims team, you could be working in one of several teams either assisting with claims adjusters, investigating, evaluating, and settling claims or working with our data and reports to track and monitor fraud and other trends.
- Securing details of claims by corresponding with claimants and/or representatives
- Assessing coverage eligibility and reviewing and applying interpretations of policy wordings in the resolution of coverage issues
- Applying applicable Priority Rules chart to each claim file
- Processing income replacement, non-earner, and attendant care claims
- Reserving files appropriately after assessing claim and maintaining detailed file records on an electronic claim system.
- Processing payments after confirming benefits, eligibility and reserves.
- Coordinating the most effective course of action for claims
- Confirming collateral benefits
- Responding to claimant correspondence in accordance with the applicable legislation
- Reviewing and approving, when appropriate, treatment plans for claimant rehabilitation
- Arranging insurer examinations to determine benefits eligibility.
- Preparing referral packages and obtaining the necessary medical information for insurer examinations
- Responding to assessment recommendations
- Other duties as assigned.
What you bring
- Currently pursuing a University or College Degree in Insurance, Business, Kinesiology, Psychology, Law or Sociology
- Professional, friendly and courteous in all interactions, whether with customers or co-workers
- Able to perform well in a busy operation and remain calm under pressure
- Problem solving skills – with the ability to consider how things work from multiple perspectives
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Collaborative team player with strong communication skills
- Great time management, ability to multi-task and strong attention to details
- Proficient in Excel and Powerpoint
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it:
Did you know?
- We care about our new graduates: Definity’s students are considered the best pipeline of talent for our full-time, permanent positions.
- We care about students: Definity distributes $85,000 in scholarships to students across Canada each year.
- We care about our community: Definity donates more than $1 million every year to causes that drive true change in the neighborhoods in which we live and work.
Salary Range: $42,400 - $78,100
Interested in this role, but don't meet every requirement? We encourage you to apply! We know from experience that a candidate doesn't need 100% of the qualifications listed to bring incredible value to our team. We're actively seeking diverse backgrounds and perspectives to help us make insurance better. At Definity, inclusion, diversity, and equity aren't just "nice to have" — they're essential to our success.
What's in it for you?
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Actual salary for the role may vary depending on work location of the successful candidate and other factors including but not limited to, skills, education, experience, working conditions and the local labour market. In addition to base pay, eligible employees may participate in various incentive plans which are paid out at the discretion of the company and subject to individual and company performance.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it.
It's better here — but don't take our word for it. Definity was named by Great Place to Work® as one of the Best Workplaces™ in Canada for women, for youth, and for inclusion.
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting [email protected].
This role requires successful clearance of background checks (including criminal checks and leadership references).