Bilingual Field Investigation Specialist
Job ID : 6811
Category : Claims
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Ottawa, Canada
Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leaders partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
Reporting to the National Manager – Special Investigations Unit (SIU), you will work with a high-performance team focusing on technical field investigations and/or file consultations on suspect losses and non-suspect complex losses.
What can you expect in this role?
- Conduct field investigations on suspect losses and/or non-suspect complex losses alone or in collaboration with others on a national basis.
- Compile and complete reports on field investigation findings and provide to claims representative.
- On a consultative basis, provide technical guidance and develop investigative strategies on suspect losses and non-suspect complex losses in collaboration with claims representative on a national basis.
- Create and facilitate technical training to claims employees throughout the organization on a national basis.
- Create and facilitate technical claims information sessions to various business units within and external to Economical.
- Incorporate clear understanding of privacy and other laws while working collaboratively with others in participating and investigating large scale or complex insurance industry investigations or with public authorities (police).
- Incorporate a clear understanding of the sensitivity and confidentially required when involved in conducting complex and /or suspect loss investigations either alone or with others on a national basis.
- On occasion, you may be required to travel alone and/or for extended periods in order to conduct or assist with investigations being conducted in remote areas or other provinces.
What do you bring to the role?
- Role requires individual to be bilingual in English and French
- University degree or College Diploma or the CIP designation.
- A minimum of 6 years' claims handling or claims investigation experience in the P&C Industry
- Investigative background and or Policy or Military background is preferred
- Experience in handling Auto and Property is required and experience in Accident Benefits is an asset
- Valid driver's license with a driving record acceptable to the company
- Adept in taking In-person notes and statements
- Professional, friendly and courteous in all interactions, whether with customers, co-workers, other individuals or vendors.
- Perform well in a busy operation; remain calm under pressure and adaptable to a rapid changing environment.
- Team player that recognizes the benefits and shared success that comes from collaborating with others.
- Proficient in MS office, strong computer skills and knowledge of various Internet search engines.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, presentation and facilitation skills.
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).