Assistant Vice President, Ontario Tort Litigation
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID : 6782
Category : Strategy & Legal
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Temporary
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Mississauga, Canada
Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leaders partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
*This is a 12 Month Contract Role*
What can you expect in this role?
- Work with the VP, Litigation to oversee and manage the Ontario tort group of 25-30 litigation lawyers acting in casualty and subrogation matters arising from insurance claims
- Design and oversight of quality program for handling Ontario tort matters
- Contribute to leadership of Definity's Claims Litigation Unit
- Opportunity to provide advice to the Claims department on litigation handling generally
What do you bring to the role?
- At least 3-5 years of management experience overseeing a team of lawyers or a legal department
- Experience with and a background in operational excellence, including to promote high performance in professionals or other highly technical roles, effectiveness and productivity, optimized staffing structures, appropriate and effective metrics, and quality assurance practices
- Demonstrated leadership abilities, including creativity, adaptability and result-oriented
- High degree of personal ethics, integrity, and responsibility
- Law Degree from an accredited law school (LLB or Juris Doctor)
- Licensed by the Law Society of Ontario to practice law as a lawyer in Ontario
- This role requires clearance of a background check and disciplinary action check
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).