Director, Data Leadership
Job ID : 6733
Category : Personal Insurance
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Toronto, Canada
Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leaders partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
What can you expect in this role?
Highly skilled, the leader of our Data & Analytics team within personal lines will be accountable for overseeing the development and the execution of the data roadmap, influencing the design of the organization's analytic strategy as we move along. This role encompasses overseeing the development, directing, and influencing the strategic direction of the personal lines organization's data infrastructure, systems, and processes, with a focus on enabling data-driven decision-making and supporting all personal lines teams' data-driven maturity. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in data management, analytics, and actuarial science, along with a strong track record of leadership and extensive collaboration in a matrix-oriented management style. The candidate will also be well versed in modelling techniques such as to bring additional insights into "how to leverage data" for the organization.
This role is instrumental in developing the capabilities made available by the data platform and providing support for how our data strategy will support the organization's analytic / business strategy. You are passionate about conceptualizing and designing solutions using various techniques and non-standard problems. You are a self-starter with an engaging leadership style, and solid influencing and facilitation skills, who will quickly develop relationships across the organization
- Lead and manage the PI Data and Analytics team, providing strategic guidance and direction to drive the organization's data-driven capabilities and initiatives.
- Develop and execute the data strategy aligned with the company's goals, including the enhancement of data infrastructure, and analytics capabilities, in support of the work of the actuarial and various other quantitative teams.
- Collaborate closely with multi-stream teams, including but not limited to actuarial, underwritings, customer experience, technology solution and governance teams, and other key stakeholders to understand business requirements, providing data solutions, in support of the need of the organization
- Drive the implementation and maintenance of robust governance policies, and data quality standards, following data privacy and security measures to ensure accuracy, consistency, and compliance.
- Provide thought leadership and direct guidance on emerging trends, industry best practices, and innovative technologies in insurance analytics and data management to drive continuous improvement and competitive advantage.
- Influence the development and deployment of advanced analytics, predictive models, and machine learning algorithms to derive actionable insights and improve business performance.
- Provides leadership to others by way of embodying our company values and behaviours and is unwavering in the care of their teams by inspiring others to drive better engagement, innovation and business outcomes. Builds trust and high-performing collaborative teams. This includes, but not is not limited to the following activities: hiring, setting and managing performance expectations, attendance and leaves of absence; coaching, providing feedback and recognition and developing others to reach their fullest potential.
- Establish credibility and maintain strong relationships with key business partners.
What do you bring to the role?
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Actuarial Science, engineering or other related field.
- Proven experience in a leadership role, with at least 10 years of experience in fields related to data management, analytics, and or actuarial science, preferably within the insurance industry.
- Proven ability to drive thought leadership and innovation, leveraging analytics to influence and design future-proof processes.
- Deep knowledge and expertise in data management, modelling, analysis, and actuarial methodologies, along with a strong understanding of insurance operations and insurance principles spanning the customer value chain.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills to effectively engage with stakeholders at all levels of the organization.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build positive and productive relationships.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills; comfortable with ambiguity and ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Achievement of professional designation such as FCIA, FCIP or P. Eng will be considered an asset to the individual.
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).