Auto/Transportation Underwriter, Commercial Insurance
Job ID : 6652
Category : Commercial Insurance
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Waterloo, Canada
Economical is part of Definity, which includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, Definity has grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leaders partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
Reporting to the Manager, Commercial Insurance, as an Auto Underwriter you will contribute to the Regional Underwriting Operations team by assessing, accepting, and declining new business submissions.
What can you expect in this role?
- You’ll assess, accept, and decline new business submissions
- You’ll be responsible for re-underwriting and negotiating renewals, and policy endorsements
- You’ll negotiate the terms and conditions of risk acceptance with brokers in writing, by telephone, electronic mail or in person
- You’ll develop and maintain positive broker relations
- You’ll participate in production calls on brokerage offices, as required
- You’ll accompany brokers on field underwriting of accounts, as required
- You’ll provide technical support to brokers
What do you bring to the role?
- University degree or diploma in any discipline or a completed CIP designation.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in Commercial Lines underwriting.
- Prior experience is establishing and maintain excellent relationships brokers.
- Strong analytical skills; able to quickly interpret data, information, reports.
- Proven ability to influence and effectively negotiate with stakeholders.
- You are professional, friendly, and courteous in all interactions, with both customers and co-workers.
- Have strong problem-solving abilities and analytical skills.
- You collaborate well will others, sharing your ideas, and listening to and integrating those of others.
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).