Technical Specialist (Mid Market Property & Casualty) for Commercial Insurance
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID : 6649
Category : Commercial Insurance
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Vancouver, Canada
Posting Range :
Economical is part of Definity, which includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative property and casualty insurers. We can’t do that without our people, so we embrace and encourage a culture that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
We offer a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Bring your true self and be a part of our journey. It’s better here.
What can you expect in this role?
- This role will report to the Director, Commercial Insurance Underwriting for the West Region in our Economical Commercial Insurance Business Unit
- You will be joining a team of passionate insurance professionals focused on driving profitable growth through rigorous underwriting and collaborative broker relationship management in Commercial Insurance
- Acts as first point of contact beyond their Manager for Underwriters seeking guidance and support to enable high quality underwriting – including clarification of underwriting products, appetite, guidelines, best practices, processes and system functionality
- Applies deep understanding of the industry and Economical's products / guidelines, CI and Corporate Strategy, corporate risk appetite, and process and procedures to provide underwriting, workflow and ways of working direction and guidance to UWs at all levels
- Acts as an expert resource to support Underwriters to build effective underwriting solutions and advise on technical underwriting question to ensure terms, conditions, rating and pricing align with both customer needs and CI strategy
- Informs and actively participates in supporting annual performance review cycles; identifies growth and development opportunities for Underwriting resources and support underwriters with the design and delivery of case studies for Outcome-Focused Learning sessions
- Champions the CI Quality Underwriting (QUEST) principles in interactions at a management, team, and individual level to encourage the development and sustainment of a strong underwriting quality culture
- Conducts underwriter file reviews to assess underwriting compliance, documents actions required and engages underwriters in supportive feedback discussions
- Participates in developing regional and national quality review reports, identification of ongoing trends and the definition and implementation of appropriate action plans
- Uses each interaction point with UWs as a coaching opportunity to teach UWs where and how to find the information they need to address similar cases in the future
- Supports in the onboarding training of new joiners
- Contributes to the design and delivery of training to support key department goals (for example, training to introduce new products or guidelines, learning sessions to reinforce key underwriting guidelines, and address region-specific training needs)
- Builds relationships at all levels and across underwriting teams to enable the identification, understanding, and appropriate action planning to improve underwriting quality and team performance within their Region
- Contributes to knowledge sharing with Technical Specialists from other regions to learn from and share best practices and ensure new insights/ methods spread in a timely manner
- Works closely with Head Office to enable consistent training opportunities and experiences across regions
What do you bring to the role?
- Highly energetic, outcomes focused and able to balance of mix of short-term and long-term priorities
- Enjoys supporting staff and leaders both 1:1 and in group sessions to build a deeper understanding of mid-market underwriting; able to communicate complex concepts in a simple, engaging way
- University degree in any discipline or a 2 year diploma from a publicly recognized and funded college or a completed CIP designation
- Industry-related certification is required (CIP/FCIP/CRM or equivalent)
- 6+ years’ experience in mid-market commercial property & casualty underwriting; preference for new business experience or experience on structuring and negotiating large, complex renewals
- Strong underwriting knowledge in one or more lines of business including wordings, underwriting procedures and policy terms and conditions
- Possesses foundational knowledge of adult-education principles
- Demonstrated interest and experience in coaching and talent development
- Developing coaching and training skills, including the ability to influence stakeholder behaviour and communicate complex or nuanced concepts in a clear and tangible way
- Strong computer literacy skills - including use of Policy Administration System(s), Case Management tool(s), Pricing tools and algorithms, and Excel
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office suite of products
- Excellent ability to multi-task and monitor progress to meet deadlines
- Strong analytical skills: able to quickly interpret data, information, reports and come to a decision quickly
- Strong customer service, verbal, and written communication skills
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).