Advisor, Business Development
Job ID : 6639
Category : Sales & Distribution
Brand : Economical
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Montreal, Canada
Economical is part of Definity, which includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, Definity has grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leaders partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
The Advisor, Business Development contributes to Economical’ s growth and profitability by actively managing and growing relationships within the existing Broker network as well as building relationships with new Brokers in the candidates Territory.
Reporting to the Director, Business Development the incumbent is responsible for delivering profitable gross written premium (GWP), growth and Broker satisfaction to meet or exceed targets at the Territory level .
This role develops and implements sales plans and manages the pipeline at a Territory and Broker level, actively monitors Broker performance (e.g., Broker reviews, Broker panel) and provides guidance, support and relevant training to Brokers within the Territory. The candidate leads the negotiation of terms, escalating and engaging Economical stakeholders where appropriate. The incumbent collaborates with peers in UW and Claims in his/her Region to share market intelligence and deliver a consistent Broker experience which meets or exceeds Broker expectations and needs.
Strategy and Planning:
- Develops an annual sales plan for the candidates Territory in alignment with the PI and CI strategies, Broker segmentation strategy, and the regional strategy; implements the sales plan to deliver against profitability and growth targets and KPIs set out for the Territory
- Involves Brokers and internal resources as required to explore alternatives, and identifies solutions that support Economical’ s goals of long-term, profitable growth for the Broker and Economical
- Collects and escalates market intelligence, and provides input to inform competitive analysis
- Manages the pipeline of opportunities for Brokers within the candidates Territory, taking action to effectively identify, qualify, and convert opportunities to achieve or exceed KPIs; regularly collaborates with peers across the organization to identify and take advantage of opportunities and to enhance the Broker experience.
- Participates in sales system meetings, where appropriate, and comes prepared with insights on Broker performance, pipeline opportunities, trends, risks, and issues within the candidates Territory
- Develops and implements sales strategies for large commercial accounts
- Negotiates agreements with Brokers, including portfolio transfers, new Broker appointments, etc., escalating and engaging Economical stakeholders where appropriate
- Effectively engages with Brokers to facilitate the negotiation services, terms and conditions, as well as to influence Brokers to recommend Economical as the insurer of choice
- Works collaboratively with all stakeholders to drive the required solution for the customer
- Develops feasible/profitable innovative solution(s) while working together with the Broker and Underwriters
- Integrates appropriate Broker feedback into proposals, and presents recommendation(s)
- Closes deals by agreeing with Brokers to mutually beneficial business plans
What do you bring to the role?
- University degree in any discipline, or College diploma in a relevant discipline
- 5 years of Property and Casualty experience, preferably in sales or marketing
- Preference will be given to candidates with sales experience and previous commercial lines underwriting experience
- CIP designation, or a commitment to completing the CIP is required (Additional designations are considered an asset (e.g., FCIP, Certified Sales Professional (CSP)
- Valid driver's license with a driving record acceptable to the company
- Exceptional customer service, verbal and written communication skills
- Strong ability to influence and effectively negotiate with stakeholders
- Preference will be given to bilingual candidates in select regions
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).