Commercial Learning Specialist
Job ID : 6594
Category : Commercial Insurance
Brand : Economical
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Waterloo, Canada
Economical is part of Definity, which includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, Definity has grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leaders partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
Reporting to the Learning Partner, Commercial Training, the Training Specialist will be accountable for developing training content to our underwriting teams. You'll be responsible for working with regional underwriting leadership and head office to design and help govern Commercial Insurance (CI) technical training for auto. The role contributes to the development and implementation of training courses that upskill underwriters, support career development, and help us achieve our overall CI business strategy. You'll works closely with the Quality Review, Corporate Underwriting, and Regional Technical Specialist teams to ensure the delivery of accurate, high-quality training.
What can you expect in this role?
- The CI Training team provides governance and ownership over CI training materials
- Develop commercial auto training by extracting relevant knowledge from subject matter experts and turning it into high-quality, consumable training for our underwriting teams
- Obtain appropriate sign-offs from leadership and internal underwriting authority to ensure training is accurate and consistent with our corporate direction and underwriting guidelines
- Support ‘train the trainer’ sessions with a network of technical specialist to ensure material is delivered consistently across Canada
- Assist the CI Training team in developing innovative and engaging training and career progression supports
- Occasionally facilitate training sessions with the support of subject matter experts
- Contribute to the development of our CI e-learning catalogue
- Be an advocate for continuous learning and development within CI
What do you bring to the role?
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, with an ability to identify and understand the needs of a particular audience and tailor materials to meet those needs
- Strong collaboration and stakeholder engagement skills
- Well organized and effective at managing multiple deadlines and deliverables
- Demonstrated experience as an instructional designer, training developer, or training specialist
- Priority will be given to individuals with Commercial Auto underwriting experience, particularly in the Fleet/Garage space
- Excellent problem-solving skills and initiative — able to gather information, analyze critically, and cut through complexity to arrive at workable solutions
- Help to build and maintain a culture of high performance and sustained profitable growth by promoting and supporting an environment that encourages productivity, collaboration, teamwork, and a high level of professionalism
- CIP designation is preferred
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).