Sr Manager, Internal Controls
Job ID : 6605
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Mississauga, Canada
Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leaders partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
The Governance department is a Line1B function supporting the Personal Insurance and Claims business units' Three Lines of Defence. Reporting to the Director, Control Validation & Policy Compliance, the Senior Manager, Internal Controls is responsible for driving control validation (operational audits) and advisory engagements for Personal Insurance and Claims processes. This role is responsible for leading a team of 3 to 4 direct reports to perform controls testing, advisory, and reporting. This includes:
- Understanding the overall risk and control environment
- Scoping and testing of insurance processes and controls
- Identifying and evaluating process and control deficiencies
- Providing guidance on the design and operating effectiveness of processes and controls
- Working directly with Senior Management on the design and implementation of key controls
- Coordinating the business’ response to internal, external, and regulatory audits
- Reporting on a quarterly basis to Senior Management on control validation progress and insights
Please note that this role can be based out of our Toronto, Mississauga, or Waterloo offices. The role is hybrid but some flexibility to travel between offices as needed is required.
What can you expect in this role?
- Overall oversight and management of the Line 1B annual control validation plan for Personal Insurance and Claims
- Perform annual risk-based planning of the Internal Controls team’s control validation efforts
- Lead control validation engagements end to end, including scoping, design of overall audit approach and detailed testing procedures, execution of control testing, and audit reporting
- Evaluate the design and operating effectiveness of current processes and controls
- Identify current process and control weaknesses and gaps
- Recommend process and control enhancements that are practical and effectively address root causes of identified deficiencies
- Constructively challenge Management’s mitigating action plans as needed and provide ongoing monitoring over their completion
- Act as a subject matter expert for the design and assessment of new processes and controls for various business initiatives
- Coordinate with business stakeholders and auditors for internal, external, and regulatory audits of business processes and controls
- Monitor and report on a quarterly basis to Senior Management the current state of each department’s control environment within Personal Insurance and Claims
- Continuously evolve the Internal Controls team’s technical capabilities in pursuit of being best in class (e.g., leveraging data analytics, automating control activities, streamlining processes, etc.)
- Provide ongoing coaching/development of team and retaining talent
What do you bring to the role?
- Relevant professional designation(s) such as CPA, CIA, CISA, or equivalent required
- Progressive relevant work experience (8+ years) within the financial services industry involving internal/external audit and risk management
- Insurance industry experience would be an asset
- Strong attention to detail and documentation skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated leadership skills with the ability to build strong relationships and influence people
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills with the ability to resourcefully gather information, analyze critically, and cut through complexity to arrive at workable solutions
- Proficient in MS Office, including Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
- Ability and willingness to travel between offices as needed
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).