Junior Business Intelligence Professional Intern/Co-op Fall 2023
Job ID : 6568
Category : Finance
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Temporary
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Waterloo, Canada
Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leaders partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
YOUR NEXT PLACEMENT
Work term: Fall 2023
Work term length: 4-month
From classroom to co-op to career, every step of your journey has an impact on your future. That’s why it makes sense to choose a co-op placement with a company that offers truly rewarding work and real-life experience. At Definity®, your contributions, creativity, and energy will be put to good use, and you’ll get to be involved with initiatives that support our strategic goals and use your skills in a supportive team environment.
If you’re looking for a company that takes care of its people — full time, part time, and co-ops alike — and has a track record of doing big things, get ready to love it here.
What you’ll be doing
Reporting to the Manager, Business Intelligence, the Business Intelligence Professional will work with like-minded professionals and our business partners to generate strategic insights in smarter and innovative ways. They will be responsible for executing on business intelligence projects – including design, analysis, and development.
Partner with internal business teams to understand their business problems and brainstorm meaningful & creative solutions
Deliver on ad-hoc reports to serve different stakeholder groups
Design, develop and deliver reports, dashboards, and data insights that provide value to our business partners
Maintain and support existing reports, dashboards and other processes owned by the team.
Implement BI best practices throughout the project lifecycle
Participate in strategic discussions to enhance their business knowledge and skillsets
What you bring
University or college degree in Computer Science, Business with Computer Science minor, Actuarial Science or a related discipline
Minimum 2 years of experience in a business intelligence role, with P&C insurance industry experience preferred.
Experience using big data databases, like Impala or Hive.
Hands-on experience developing reports and dashboards through visualization platforms (e.g., Tableau) data exploration & analysis tool (e.g., SQL, R, SAS)
Working knowledge of project management methodologies (including agile development) preferred.
Analytical ability to generate insights & present effective data-driven business recommendations to various stakeholder groups.
“Can-do” attitude to solving business problems.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it:
Did you know?
- We care about our co-ops: Definity’s co-op students are considered the best pipeline of talent for our full-time, permanent positions.
- We care about students: Definity distributes $85,000 in scholarships to students across Canada each year.
- We care about our community: Definity donates more than $1 million every year to causes that drive true change in the neighbourhoods in which we live and work.
What can Definity offer you?
- Meaningful work forwarding our purpose of building a better world by helping our clients and communities adapt and thrive in their hardest times of need.
- Culture of accountability, empowerment, and collaboration.
- Opportunities to support personal and professional growth through real-life experience and unique learning opportunities. Our Leadership Essentials program builds knowledge and skills to Team Leaders to Directors
- Opportunity to join our employee groups - focused on women's empowerment, LGBTQ+, anti-racism and cultural equity, and environmental activism
- Determined to create positive change for our environment, our people, and our communities, now and in the future. Check our ESG work!
Visit www.definityfinancial.com to learn more about us and what we’re up to.
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).