Manager, Corporate Underwriting
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID : 6577
Category : Personal Insurance
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Toronto, Canada
Posting Range :
Definity is the parent company to some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative property and casualty insurers. We can’t do that without our people, so we embrace and encourage a culture that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
We offer a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Bring your true self and be a part of our journey. It’s better here.
Reporting to the Director, Corporate Underwriting, the Manager Property Underwriting, is responsible for leading a National Property Team within our Corporate Personal Insurance area. The manager is accountable for leading a team of analysts in all phases of design and deployment of underwriting and product initiatives, changes, and enhancements. This role is also responsible for providing underwriting oversight and direction to the operations teams.
Main responsibilities include:
- Lead the team of Corporate Underwriting analysts, providing leadership and direction
- Support the execution of the Personal Insurance business strategy to deliver on the operational plan
- Responsible for the development of new and/or enhanced product features, underwriting criteria and guidelines to algin with portfolio strategy
- Develop and implement controls and strategies to support profitable growth, enhance underwriting quality and mitigate against risks
- Ensure changes adhere to underwriting philosophy and maintain the integrity of the portfolio strategy, practices, and governance
- Assist with product and change implementation efforts within Personal Insurance Initiatives teams, TS, and other internal partners
- Research, analyze and present recommendations to PI leadership on emerging product and underwriting trends/opportunities/threats
- Be a subject matter expert as it relates to technical underwriting and provide guidance and consultation to internal stakeholders
- Manage team performance through proactive coaching, employee development and performance appraisals
- Foster positive working relationships with internal and external parties, including operational teams and claims
What do you bring to the role?
- University degree
- Industry-related certification is an asset (CIP/FCIP/CRM or equivalent)
- 5-8 years of related industry experience
- Prior leadership experience
- In-depth underwriting knowledge of Personal Insurance property line of business including wordings, underwriting guidelines and policy terms and conditions
- Strong collaboration skills and stakeholder management
- Excellent analytical and problem solving with the ability to select and implement best solution
- Advanced decision-making skills
- Excellent communication skills (written/oral) required with the ability to foster positive relationship across teams
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office suite of products
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).