Manager, Product & Underwriting- Auto/ Property
Job ID : 6577
Category : Personal Insurance
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Toronto, Canada
Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leaders partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
Reporting to the Director, Product and Underwriting, the Manager P&U/W is responsible for leading a Product specific team (auto or property) within our Corporate Personal Insurance area. The manager is accountable for leading a team of product analysts in all phases of design and deployment of product initiatives, changes, and enhancements. This role is also responsible for providing underwriting oversight and direction to our operations teams.
Main responsibilities include:
- Lead the team of Corporate Underwriting product analysts, providing leadership and direction
- Support the execution of the Personal Insurance business strategy to deliver on the operational plan
- Responsible for the development of new and/or enhanced product features, underwriting criteria and guidelines to algin with our portfolio strategy
- Ensure changes adhere to underwriting philosophy and maintain the integrity of the portfolio strategy, practices, and governance
- Develop and implement controls and strategies to support profitable growth, enhance underwriting quality and mitigate against risks
- Assist with product and change implementation efforts with Personal Insurance Initiatives teams, TS, and other internal partners
- Work closely with regulators in various jurisdictions
- Consult with Portfolio Management to understand trends and business quality, to support operational objectives
- Research, analyze and present recommendations to PI leadership on emerging product and underwriting trends/opportunities/threats
- Be a subject matter expert as it relates to technical underwriting providing guidance and direction to various stakeholders as needed
- Provide competitive product comparisons when required to support ongoing changes to products and underwriting criteria
What do you bring to the role?
- University degree
- Industry-related certification is an asset (CIP/FCIP/CRM or equivalent)
- 5-8 years of related industry experience
- Prior leadership experience within the Insurance industry
- In-depth underwriting knowledge in one or more lines of business including wordings, underwriting guidelines and policy terms and conditions
- Strong collaboration skills and stakeholder management
- Excellent analytical and problem solving with the ability to select and implement best solution
- Advanced decision-making skills
- Excellent communication skills (written/oral) required with the ability to foster positive relationship across teams
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office suite of products
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).