Specialist, Quality Engineering - Guidewire
Job ID : 6552
Category : Technology Solutions
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Kitchener, Canada
Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leaders partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
What can you expect in this role?
- As a QE specialist, you will responsible for developing and executing test strategies and test plans for releases with a focus on optimized coverage across work streams
- Maximize test automation coverage by bringing in automation first mindset and look for opportunities to shift-left testing in the delivery process
- Work collaboratively with cross functional team across various work stream
- Lead a team of QE professionals and drive testing priorities to achieve the necessary business outcomes
- Provide accurate and detailed QE test status to stakeholders, along with issues, trends and potential impact and drive timely resolution of impediments
- Identify and select industry best practices, to support continuous process improvements and efficiencies in the overall QE processes at Economical
- Participate in the coordination of the change/release management and production implementation processes and activities
- Provide project and technical orientation and support for team members
- Support development of insurance domain knowledge and understanding of business processes within the team
What do you bring to the role?
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field
- 7+ years of Quality engineering experience with minimum 3 years leadership experience to leading QE initiatives and increasing Test Effectiveness and Quality
- Experience in Insurance industry is a must; hands on experience on Guidewire platform is preferred
- Proficiency in at least one object-oriented programming language such as Java, Python etc. with experience in development and maintenance of Test Automation Frameworks / Test Harness using tools like Selenium, REST-assured, Tosca etc.
- Experience testing RESTful APIs
- Knowledge of Jira, Confluence, SharePoint, and other collaboration tools.
- Experience with Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery concepts and approaches and experience working in a DevOps environment
- Experienced in interacting and coordinating test activities amongst multiple teams
- Excellent communication, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Adapting quickly to changing conditions and providing approaches for pragmatic improvement and delivering results on time
- Experience and understanding of Agile software development methodologies
- Good hands-on experience participating and driving Agile Scrum ceremonies viz. Sprint planning, Backlog grooming, Retrospectives, Scrum of Scrum etc. from testing viewpoint.
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).