Counsel, Claims Litigation
Job ID : 6461
Category : Strategy & Legal
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : London, Canada
Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leaders partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
What can you expect from this role?
- Act in litigation from inception through to trial via carriage of multiple tort files
- Prepare written court materials, appear in court and advise on litigation strategies at the case level
- Play an advisory role to Definity’s Claims department in relation to claims litigation
What you bring to the role?
- Law Degree from an accredited law school (LLB or Juris Doctor)
- Licensed by the Law Society of Ontario to practice law as a lawyer in Ontario
- 3-7 years of post-call experience working in insurance litigation, ideally with trial experience
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Word and PowerPoint
- High degree of personal ethics, integrity and responsibility with an ability to deal with sensitive issues and safeguard confidential information
- Assertiveness in practice, but reasonable and forthright
- Interest in court advocacy, especially trial work
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills across a range of contexts
- Excellent negotiation and facilitation skills with a proven capability for effective presentation tools/methods
- Sound judgment, with the ability to critically analyze situations, problem-solve, and deal with ambiguity and have the ability to provide meaningful advice and recommendations
- Ability to perform under pressure, meet deadlines and handle multiple, yet sometimes conflicting priorities
- Team player, adaptable to a changing environment
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).