Data Governance & Strategy Manager
Job ID : 6441
Category : Finance
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Toronto, Canada
Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leaders partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
The Enterprise Analytics and Data Office (EADO) is a dynamic team that is dedicated to delivering data-driven insights and solutions to the enterprise. Comprised of Advanced Analytics (AA), Business Intelligence (BI), and our federated Enterprise Data Office (EDO), the EADO is a services function that supports strategic projects and initiatives across the enterprise. Our vision is to create an enterprise powered by collaborative, data-driven decision making. We work in a hybrid environment and use an 'activity based' approach to in office work. As a member of the EADO, you will have the opportunity to work on exciting and challenging projects, collaborating with a team of highly skilled professionals to achieve our vision of a data-driven enterprise.
We are currently seeking a qualified candidate to join our Enterprise Data Office (EDO). In this key leadership role, you will be responsible for maintaining the EDO roadmap and operating model and supporting internal processes to ensure compliance with Data Governance policies. You will work closely with stakeholders across the enterprise to establish, implement, and document data management and governance standards, policies, and processes for managing data within the organization. Your work will also involve developing key data management and governance KPI's and reporting against them to demonstrate progress and value delivery. As a member of the EDO, you will have the opportunity to work with a team of highly skilled professionals to create an enterprise powered by collaborative, data-driven decision making.
What can you expect in this role?
- Maintain the corporate information management policy, information management strategy, taxonomy, retention / disposition / archival standards, Data Lifecycle Management (DLM) processes including legal Holds and help manage the DLM classification and exception process
- Centralize classification of information on strategic data platforms leveraging tools like Google DLP, Amazon Macie, and Collibra
- Oversee enterprise third party data management processes, and capabilities to enable discovery, governance and proper management of third party data
- Develop, document, and maintain enterprise standards, guidelines and policies to ensure standardization of Data Governance and Management practices across the organization. Key areas include Data Catalog, Metadata, Data Quality, Data Access and Privacy, and Reference Data
- Define enterprise processes and templates that can be leveraged by the broader EDO team to aid in adoption of Data Governance and Management and consolidation of inventory including Data Catalog, Metadata, Data Quality, Data Access and Privacy, and Reference Data
- Develop Metrics and KPIs to report on progress of data governance and management across the organization including metrics to clearly articulate value delivery. Work with extended EDO and Reporting teams to develop reporting templates and lead operational reporting activities for steering committees and executive sponsors
- Define and execute processes to periodically ensure compliance to Data Governance and Management standards, policies and guidelines; define and execute attestation processes and lead periodic reviews to ensure adherence
- Support extended EDO team in understanding and developing knowledge management materials
- Support development of business case, resource requirements and miscellaneous governance items
- Support the Enterprise Data Strategy, Roadmap and Operating Model; develop and document artifacts, support periodic refresh of documents by facilitating stakeholder discussions, consolidating inputs and generating alignment amongst stakeholders
What do you bring to the role?
- Minimum 5+ years of experience working in the insurance / financial services industry preferably in a Business or Business-Technology environment with focus on strategy and governance
- University degree required; MBA is an asset
- Previous experience in Data Governance, or Information Management and strategy role
- Proven record of developing Data Governance artifacts including standards, processes, and templates
- Strong executive management and reporting skills as well as demonstrated strategic thinking experience
- Strong interest in and experience with using data to drive business objectives and comfort interfacing with technology as an enabler
- Proficient in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Experience with data governance & reporting tools is an asset (Tableau, Collibra)
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).