Director, Product and Underwriting
Job ID : 6408
Category : Personal Insurance
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Waterloo, Canada
Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leaders partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
What can you expect in this role?
Reporting to the AVP, Product and Underwriting, the Director, Underwriting (Auto & Property) is primarily responsible for leading our Personal Insurance Product and Underwriting area for both automobile and property lines of business. The Director is accountable for all phases of new and existing product research, design and implementation of product initiatives, changes, and enhancements. This role is also responsible for providing underwriting oversight and direction to our operations teams.
Main responsibilities include:
- Responsible for the implementation and execution of strategic initiatives to deliver on the Personal Insurance operational plans to ensure corporate objectives are met
- Deliver on the Personal Insurance business strategy as it relates to product and underwriting for property and automobile for all Definity companies.
- Develop and enhance underwriting and risk appetite philosophies in line with Company and market conditions
- Ensure changes adhere to underwriting philosophy and maintain the integrity of the portfolio strategy, practices, and governance
- Develop and implement controls and strategies to support profitable growth, enhance underwriting quality and mitigate against risks
- Research, analyze and present recommendations to PI leadership on emerging product and underwriting trends/opportunities/threats
- Provide high-level expertise and guidance in technical insurance matters to various stakeholders
- Work with portfolio management, pricing partners and other stakeholders to solve business problems such as: retention, growth, profitability, competitive positioning, and product development
- Lead the Corporate Underwriting Team responsible for ensuring initiatives and changes are implemented correctly and in a timely manner with a focus on execution excellence
As the successful candidate you will ensure the team is providing appropriate level service and support to our internal partners. This requires an innovative approach to instructional design, facilitation, knowledge management and quality monitoring priorities.
What do you bring to the role?
- University Degree in a relevant discipline
- FCIP or actively pursuing FCIP is an asset
- Relevant full-time personal insurance underwriting or related industry experience
- Prior leadership experience required with an ability to lead and manage a team in a busy and changing environment while fostering positive performance and engagement
- Excellent communication skills (written/oral) required with the ability to foster positive relationships
- Ability to manage stakeholders through collaboration and cooperation at various levels across the organization
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to prioritize multiple projects
- Excellent analytical and problem solving with the ability to select and implement best solution
- Advanced decision-making skills
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office suite of products
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).