Generalist, Human Resources
Job ID : 6388
Category : Human Resources
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Waterloo, Canada
Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leaders partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
We’re looking for an energetic individual with a passion for helping people and organizations thrive to join our team in as a Human Resources Generalist. Reporting to the HR Business Partner, you will play a key role in assisting the team to raise the bar on talent management, support our drive to maintain our high-performance culture and provide internal coaching and support to leaders in dealing with a broad spectrum of human resources programs
What you will do:
- Day-to-day support for employees and leaders, understanding their needs and the needs of their team members in building a high performing and engaged culture
- Provide advice, direction, and support to the client group in employee relations issues, including but not limited to the interpretation of company policies & procedures, recruitment & selection strategy, performance management, job evaluations, terminations, training & development, health & safety, medical and benefits
- Partner with client group to provide advice and counsel to colleagues on HR-related issues and concerns
- Provide consultation on issues related to legal and procedural compliance, employee relations, workforce planning, talent and performance management, compensation and organizational development
- Support the rollout of various HR programs and initiatives
- Influence and empower leaders to accelerate the growth and development of their teams
- Motivate and support an inclusive and diverse culture
- Provide data and analysis to support HR projects and strategy including survey analysis, compensation and trend reports
- Contribute to continuous improvements & best practices to influence human resources strategies
- Other duties as assigned
What you’ll bring:
- 5-7 years of employee relations experience would be considered an asset
- A passion for driving development for people and helping to build world-class teams
- Strong working knowledge of HR legislation, best practices and core people process
- The ability to influence without authority, lead with empathy and build credibility with leaders and teams that you support
- Demonstrated ability to work in a dynamic and fast paced environment
- Ability to diagnose complex employee relations issues and coach to a solution
- Sound analytical, problem solving and negotiation skills with an ability to understand broad Human Resource issues and resolve conflict situations in a diplomatic manner
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).