Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leader’s partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
What can you expect in this role?
- Act as a business partner to internal departments within the company, providing them with financial information and analysis to make informed business decisions
- Work alongside the business to develop their annual budget and quarterly forecasts including analysis on the drivers of operational results, risks & opportunities, trends, variances, and commentary
- Report monthly on operational expenses, contract commitments, and budget variances
- Prepare monthly journal entries related to accruals and cost reallocations to ensure accurate financial reporting
- Support the Enterprise Procurement team by analyzing vendor contracts and confirming funding availability
- Work to continuously enhance current processes and reporting to improve accuracy and efficiency
What do you bring to the role?
- Completed university degree, preferably within accounting, business, or finance
- Completion or near-completion of CPA designation
- 2+ years of relevant Finance experience
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and comfortable interacting with all levels of the organization
- Advanced Microsoft Excel knowledge (pivot tables, sumifs, vlookups)
- Strong analytical skills and exceptional attention to detail
- Ability to work effectively in a team and independently with minimal supervision
- Self-starter who can identify opportunities for improvement and execute on them
- Proven ability to prioritize multiple tasks and meet firm deadlines
- Previous planning and/or expense analysis experience considered an asset
- Knowledge/experience within insurance industry considered an asset
- Experience with Oracle Hyperion / Essbase and Spreadsheet Server tools considered an asset
- This role requires successful clearance of a background checks including credit & criminal checks along with business references
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).