Specialist, Operations, Financial Planning and Reporting
Job ID : 6340
Category : Personal Insurance
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Toronto, Canada
Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leaders partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
Reporting to the Manager, PI Operational Planning & Analysis, the Specialist is responsible for providing key internal stakeholders with value-added, business performance insights and financial analysis to assist in their decision-making process for managing the day-to-day and long-term business needs of the Personal Insurance business lines.
The analytical support provided by this role enables Senior Leaders within Personal Insurance to understand the impact of their decisions. Articulating and effectively communicating business performance insights and impacts to the business in written and presentation format is a critical part of the role. This role is responsible for identifying any potential problems or risk areas as well as opportunities that business stakeholder may need to be aware of and act on.
What can you expect in this role?
- Analyzing monthly/quarterly actuals to plan/forecast and operational data. Identifying the key business performance drivers, reasons for any variances and presenting conclusions.
- Preparing timely and accurate divisional business performance reporting for both internal (Board of Directors, senior management) and external (investors, regulators and auditors) stakeholders.
- Consulting with the business stakeholders and cross divisional leaders to provide specialized financial expertise and insight to help support decisions from senior management team
- Supporting and preparing annual Operational Plan for and quarterly forecast for Personal Insurance and preparing related analysis and reporting
- Creating and maintaining a monthly forecast models to track expectations to Operational Plan and advise on areas of opportunity
- Reviewing existing processes, systems, data and reporting to make recommendations for key improvements and lead the change initiative
- Providing support and/or leading ad hoc projects
- Preparing ad-hoc analysis and reports on a timely manner to all queries from stakeholders, as required
What do you bring to the role?
- University degree in Accounting, Business, Finance, Math/Statistics or related program
- Recognized accounting designation (CPA, CA, CMA, CGA) an asset
- 5+ years of relevant, full-time experience financial management reporting and business performance analysis
- Knowledge and experience with P&C insurance would be an asset
- Advanced MS Excel and PowerPoint knowledge is required. VBA skills would be an asset
- Proven record of analytical expertise and excellent attention to detail
- Superior written and verbal communication/presentation skills and ability to interact with senior executives and other cross divisional leaders in the organization
- An ability to make to make well-informed, effective, and timely decisions
- Ability to work in a team or independently with moderate supervision
- Self-motivated and consistently demonstrates an ability to take initiative on any issue
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).