Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leader’s partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
Reporting to the Director - Strategic Risk, the incumbent will have responsibilities for building a Climate Change Centre of Excellence. This role will require specialized skills in climate science modelling.
What can you expect in this role?
- Assess long-term impact of Climate Change on insurance operations and develop strategy to mitigate climate-related risk and impacts and capture climate-related opportunities
- Model the short-term and long-term impact of climate change on our insurance operations
- Contribute Climate Change expertise to the development of risk appetites, products, and pricing.
- Create Key Risk Indicators to monitor the impact of climate change in financial results
- Incorporate the expected impact of climate change in assessing future profitability for any business being added through M&A, broker acquisitions or portfolio transfers
- Provide considerations for the implications of climate change and transition risk on our investment strategy
- Support the Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) team in developing climate-related reporting for financial and non-financial disclosures
- Propose recommendations to the ESG team and Climate Change Working Group (CCWG) on how the Company should integrate leading practices into own operations
- Develop and deliver education and training for executives and employees
What do you bring to the role?
- University degree in Climate sciences, Statistics. Advanced training in climate change and/or climatology
- 4-6 years’ experience in climate advisory within a consulting capacity, either within a consulting firm or financial institution, focused on Climate Change, Natural Disasters like Tornadoes and Severe Storms, Hurricanes and Tropical Storms, Floods, Wildfires, Earthquakes, Drought, Greenhouse Gas (GHG) analysis and Geo Spatial analysis
- Experience in applying climate advisory to the insurance and/or financial sector, particularly forward-looking scenario analysis
- Leadership experience in building new teams
- Any certification available on climate science and modelling
- Proficient in different quantitative techniques that are needed to model the impact of climate change on insured losses. Solid understanding of the physics and economics behind climate change
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to collaborate and coordinate across departments, building buy-in to influence decisions
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).