Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leader’s partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
What can you expect in this role?
- The role assumes executive leadership of commercial insurance underwriting, operations and risk services
- Leads the corporate underwriting team which is responsible for underwriting appetite, guidelines, product, capacity, risk management and aggregation across all CI functions (small business, mid-market and specialty)
- Leads national risk services team in implementing enhanced risk mitigation and loss prevention efforts. Accountable for enhancing and overseeing assessment of risk, including risk mitigation through inspection, smart monitoring technology, and operational recommendations to clients.
- Leads the CI operational team which is responsible for business analytics and insights on growth and financial results as well as leading CI business planning and reporting.
- Leads the team which oversees the sharing economy business for Definity, is directly accountable for the P&L of this business and well as customer and broker management.
- A key responsibility will be chairing the Commercial Insurance Profitability Committee, which is the central governance committee for CI, includes governance of pricing, product, risk, aggregation, appetite, and CI initiatives/opportunities.
- A key accountability will be to support the Chief Underwriting Officer for CI with portfolio management and strategy encompassing growth, profitability, pricing, risk selection and management. This includes leading the quarterly business review process with the Executive Leadership Team.
- Will also be accountable for supporting the CI ELT with quarterly earnings calls and strategic initiatives such as M&A activity.
- The role will also work closely with the regional VPs to support key broker relationships and accounts.
What do you bring to this role?
- 12-15 years of experience in P&C insurance, with 8-10 years of progressive experience in management or leadership.
- University Degree in Actuarial Science, Finance, Economics, Accounting or a relevant discipline.
- Deep technical experience in underwriting, pricing, risk management, analytics or other related fields will be a strong asset.
- Strong ability to influence and effectively negotiate with internal and external stakeholders.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced and dynamic environment in which you are leading organizational change.
- Strong analytical thinking and planning skills.
- Strong ability to provide on-the-job coaching and feedback.
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).