Articling Student, Claims Litigation
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID : 6249
Category : Strategy & Legal
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Temporary
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Waterloo, Canada
Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leaders partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
What We’re Looking For:
- High-quality of work and ability to instill confidence in the lawyers with whom you work
- Exceptional analytical skills
- Superior communication skills, both orally and in writing
- Ability to work independently, handling numerous tasks and meeting multiple deadlines
- Excellent time management skills and ability to decisively prioritize tasks and manage sometimes conflicting responsibilities
- High levels of initiative, as well as visible enthusiasm and excitement for advocacy
The ideal candidate will desire challenging tasks and be flexible in terms of assignments.
Your Skills & Experience:
- Coursework in some or all of the following areas:
- tort law
- research and writing
- civil procedure
- insurance law
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Word and PowerPoint
What You’ll Experience:
- Experiential training and mentorship in areas of:
- professional responsibility
- fact investigation and legal research
- drafting and legal writing
- Attendance and participation in as many aspects of the litigation process as practicable, including:
- preparing affidavits
- developing a theory of the case
- conducting research on substantive and procedural issues
- attending motions, examinations for discovery, settlement and negotiation conferences, and mediations
- Opportunities to assist with preparing clients and witnesses for trial and attendance at pre-trial conferences
- Direction in formulating and articulating well-reasoned legal arguments, analyses, and submissions
- Regular feedback and evaluations on a formal and informal basis to hone your skills and become a successful advocate
Your application should include:
- Cover letter and Resume
- Law school and post-secondary transcripts
- A short sample of your previous writing (no more than 10 pages double-spaced)
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).