Director, Corporate Underwriting
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID : 6226
Category : Commercial Insurance
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : London, Canada
Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leaders partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
What can you expect in this role?
- Acts as the key contact for Corporate Underwriting Mid-Market Property, Casualty, Fleet and Garage lines of business in compliance within defined underwriting protocols
- Maintain effective internal and external stakeholder relationships that support underwriting quality
- Staff Development: Maintain effective ongoing development plans for all direct and indirect reports, as documented by quarterly and annual performance appraisal, implement development plans when required to improve underwriting quality and employee engagement
- Identify and implement necessary changes to underwriting and pricing guidelines to support corporate objectives, underwriting philosophy, and changes in the marketplace in alignment with our high standards of integrity of our pricing and underwriting practices.
- Support the advancement of a digital go-to-market strategy with new access points for brokers to self-serve policy issuance
- Lead multi-national business administration through reinsurance fronting model by creating and maintaining effective compliance protocols and key performance indicators
What do you bring to the role?
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in commercial property, casualty and automobile underwriting to ensure an excellent understanding of business operations and professional liability line of business related legislative, regulatory, and internal policy and procedure requirements
- Strong organizational skills; excellent problem-solving skills; able to gather information, analyses critically and cut through complexity to arrive at workable solutions and the ability to influence and effectively negotiate with internal and external stakeholders.
- Helps build and maintain a culture of high performance and sustained profitable growth by promoting and supporting an environment that encourages productivity, collaboration, teamwork, and a high level of professionalism. People Management & Development including; Ensures team is staffed with appropriate skills and a capacity to deliver on mandates, Demonstrates strong leadership competencies, and Supports and is an advocate for change
- Participates in strategic workforce management function including effective budget resource planning, retention management, succession planning, recruiting as well as leading and coaching staff
- Work is generally conducted at underwriting branch, although the incumbent will be required to meet with brokers to encourage new business and maintain retention targets; some overnight travel may be required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to build strong relationships externally and internally with people from all levels to help foster a positive compliance culture
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).