Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leader’s partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
What can you expect in this role?
- Analyzing, profiling and mapping data from disparate sources based on current and future business requirement/needs
- Facilitating and actively participating in requirement elaboration sessions with both business and technical stakeholders considering both upstream and downstream functional and non-functional requirements
- Participate in agile sprint ceremonies, daily stand-ups, sprint planning, sprint refinements and retrospective sessions
- Eliciting, documenting and translating business requirements into detailed technical specifications
- Ability to write Ad-hoc queries and extract data from Hadoop/Cloud platforms
- Contribute to project management activities such as scoping, impact assessments and estimating project efforts, identifying risks and recommending mitigation measures, communicating activity status as well as escalating and communicating possible issues.
- Creating and keeping up to date technical and business data mapping documents always keeping in mind the Enterprise Data Office framework
- Working with business and quality engineering on test planning, test case creation, review of results and assist in troubleshooting failed test cases.
- Working with Third Party Vendor and business stakeholders to ensure data accuracy and timeliness for reporting to IBC, RSP and GAA
- Working collaboratively with stakeholders across business and technology teams seeking opportunities to improve quality of service and demonstrate commitment to operational excellence for all deliverables.
- Ensuring timely resolution of incidents, problems and requests within appropriate SLA’s ensuring compliance with relevant standards, practices and policies
- Keeping current on Big Data Technology and tools, share experience and learnings with team members
What do you bring to the role?
- 3+ years’ experience with Big Data Technology, SQL database query skills, knowledge of Hadoop technology infrastructure (Cloudera), Google Cloud,
- You have a degree/diploma in Computer Science, Business and/or a related field, and you’ve spent at least 3 years in a data related BSA role. It’s an asset if you have experience with Agile methodologies
- Proficiency in Confluence and Jira applications
- Experience within Financial Services and/or P&C Insurance Industry is an asset
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, inquisitive nature and comfort challenging current practices
- Strong facilitation skills with both technical and business stakeholders
- Proven ability to identify and lead problem resolution for medium to complex issues with business partners and project/services team members, working on multiple streams of work
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).