Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leader’s partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
What can you expect in this role?
- Have the unique opportunity to support the activities of the Corporate Development function, with some exposure to our Investor Relations, Capital Management, Treasury and Reinsurance initiatives
- Support and deliver on Definity’s inorganic growth and broker investments strategy
- Work closely with executive leadership, operations, corporate finance, and other functional teams
- Play an important role in identifying and assessing potential acquisition targets, as well as other corporate initiatives, for strategic fit and value generation
- Assist in the execution of acquisition and divestiture transactions, including but not limited to deal sourcing, due diligence, financial analysis, executive and regulatory approval, transaction documentation, and integration support
- Monitor activity in the Canadian P&C industry, including development and maintenance of industry benchmarking databases and presentations
- Credit analysis, covenant monitoring, and other recurring reporting duties required for new and existing broker investments
- Ad hoc requests to provide support to other functions at Definity as required
What do you bring to the role?
- Completed university degree, preferably within accounting, business or finance, with high proven achievement
- 0-2 years work experience (including co-op or internships), in an accounting or finance-related role, preferably with experience in the areas of corporate development, M&A, financial statement analysis and budgeting/forecasting
- Strong knowledge of financial accounting practices and an ability to analyze and understand the implications of business activities on the financial statements
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and investigate problems, identify issues, and propose solutions
- Interest and/or prior experience in financial services industries in general, and insurance specifically, would be an asset
- Strong excel and modelling skills, with excellent attention to detail and strong analytical skills
- Ability to produce clear reports and presentations, including strong working knowledge of PowerPoint
- Ability to operate with a flexible work schedule, given transactional nature of role
- Working knowledge of Bloomberg and/or S&P Cap IQ is an asset, but not required
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to interact with all levels of the organization, including C-level executives
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application.
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).