Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Starting in September, Definity employees move to a hybrid work model so we can collaborate, build mentoring relationships, and solve complex or cross-functional business opportunities together. Our teams work in whichever environment best supports what they're working on and who they're working with. We're actively reinventing our offices as welcoming workspaces that optimize collaboration and empower leaders to use our space to strengthen team dynamics. Our tools and processes seamlessly connect employees from multiple locations, and our culture encourages respectful engagement and flexibility. Leaders work with their teams to determine the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their team, cross-functional engagement, responsibilities and timelines, plus those of our customers, our broker partners, and the company culture.
What can you expect in this role?
- Underwriting Technician is a second level processing role within the Regional Processing Center, completing more complex tasks than in the Underwriting Assistant position. This role will require you to work within your authority and our company guidelines to support and process more complex tasks received from the brokers, and providing support to the Underwriting team
- Develop and apply knowledge of Economical’s product offerings, risk types, and processes
- Demonstrating a strong understanding of Underwriting manuals, guidelines, and standard operating procedures
- Working closely with the Underwriters and Underwriting Assistants to ensure tasks are accurately completed
- Contributing to achieving defined Service Level Agreements and Operating Level Agreements
- Meeting quality and production expectations on a regular basis
- Ensuring compliance with our corporate guidelines and information is captured accurately in the relevant policy administration system(s)
- Supporting the Underwriting Assistants and other general office duties as required
What do you bring to the role?
- Completed high school diploma and relevant work experience
- Preference will be given to candidates with a post-secondary degree, diploma, or CIP designation, or who have experience in a commercial underwriting support role
- Professional, friendly, and courteous in all interactions, both within the company and our broker partners
- Able to prioritize day-to-day tasks, working efficiently to complete work within outlined time frames
- Perform well in a busy environment and remain calm under pressure
- Courteous and positive interactions with other team members and our Broker partners in all forms of communication
- Team player adaptable to a changing environment
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Strong attention to detail, ensuring accuracy on transactions handled
- Strong computer skills including previous experience in working in case management tools, portals or databases will be an asset
- Bilingual, written and spoken (French and English) will be considered an asset
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).