Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Starting in September, Definity employees move to a hybrid work model so we can collaborate, build mentoring relationships, and solve complex or cross-functional business opportunities together. Our teams work in whichever environment best supports what they're working on and who they're working with. We're actively reinventing our offices as welcoming workspaces that optimize collaboration and empower leaders to use our space to strengthen team dynamics. Our tools and processes seamlessly connect employees from multiple locations, and our culture encourages respectful engagement and flexibility. Leaders work with their teams to determine the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their team, cross-functional engagement, responsibilities and timelines, plus those of our customers, our broker partners, and the company culture.
What can you expect in this role?
- Support Chief Underwriting Officer for Commercial Insurance team.
- Review emails and correspondence to determine urgency and importance; escalating when necessary, and ensuring that highly sensitive, proprietary and confidential information is released only to those authorized. Having full and complete responsibility for executive calendar
- Manage and schedule appointments independently to ensure most efficient use of their time.
- Plan and execute all aspects of meetings and special events including venue and technical support arrangements, setting meeting agenda structure, collecting and disseminating materials, and the development of Power Point presentations (as required).
- Initiate and manage documentation including highly sensitive and confidential information.
- Booking and organization of travel requirements (as required)
Budget and Expenses:
- Develop framework budget based on historical data and business plans. Input budget, co-ordinate budget process and ensure deadlines are met.
- Monitor monthly reports and track expenses, following up on discrepancies when necessary.
- Review all direct report expense reports for accuracy and policy compliance.
- Complete, prepare and submit payment of invoices and company expenses
- Using own judgment, responsible for handling expenses to an authorized maximum amount.
- Provide admin support to the leadership team and department as assigned
- Ordering supplies, scanning, photocopying, filing, sorting and distribution of mail and reports.
- Provide required support that includes database administration, spreadsheets, and word processing
- Act as back up support for department team members during absences and peak periods, learning key responsibilities
- Other duties as required
What do you bring to the role?
- University degree or College diploma in related discipline
- 5+ years of experience in an administrative support position; experience supporting at the executive level is an asset.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Superior planning, organization and coordination skills; impeccable calendar management skills and able to prioritize meetings on behalf of the executive
- Ability to work independently, proactive, forward-thinking and resourceful
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Professional, friendly and courteous in all interactions with internal and external customers
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- High level of maturity and integrity with respect to confidential information
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).