Sr Property Construction Underwriter, Specialty Insurance
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID : 6083
Category : Commercial Insurance
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Toronto, Canada
Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leaders partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
Supporting the Specialty Energy and Property Division, we are looking for an motivated individual to join a group focused on teamwork and profit-oriented underwriting.
What can you expect in this role?
- Experience in underwriting Builders Risk Coverage (Course of Construction) including Specialty & Energy International Projects (EAR & CAR coverage)
- Negotiates terms, conditions and premium for large Construction Projects within individual assigned portfolio and authority level.
- Analyze submissions in according to company underwriting guidelines and request additional information as needed or required. i.e. Engineering reports, CAT modeling, recommendations
- Manages the underwriting portfolio in accordance with guidelines and approved rating models, ensuring best practice is always maintained and seeking for profitability
- Build strong partnerships and drive growth with key brokers and clients.
What do you bring to the role?
- University degree in a related discipline
- Minimum 5 years of experience in Construction business underwriting, including Energy related.
- Strong analytical, mathematical, decision making and negotiating skills
- Committed team player
- Strong computer literacy skills
- Excellent existing broker relationships and the proven ability to create and nurture new relationships
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).