Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Starting in September, Definity employees move to a hybrid work model so we can collaborate, build mentoring relationships, and solve complex or cross-functional business opportunities together. Our teams work in whichever environment best supports what they're working on and who they're working with. We're actively reinventing our offices as welcoming workspaces that optimize collaboration and empower leaders to use our space to strengthen team dynamics. Our tools and processes seamlessly connect employees from multiple locations, and our culture encourages respectful engagement and flexibility. Leaders work with their teams to determine the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their team, cross-functional engagement, responsibilities and timelines, plus those of our customers, our broker partners, and the company culture.
What can you expect in this role?
Reporting & Disclosure
- You will assist with the preparation of the annual ESG Report and other sustainability-related disclosures in alignment with reporting frameworks such as Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD), Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB), Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and Global Reporting Initiative (GRI)
- You will monitor current and emerging sustainability reporting and disclosure standards, requirements and regulations (e.g. ISSB General Sustainability, Climate-related, and industry-specific disclosures, Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions (OSFI) guidance on climate risk management & disclosure) and incorporate new methodologies and requirements into current reporting practices
- You will support the development, alignment, and tracking of sustainability metrics
- You will coordinate with a wide variety of internal stakeholders to gather data for annual reporting and disclosures
- You will ensure compliance with data standards by maintaining and enhancing internal controls
- You will routinely benchmark Definity Financial Corporation relative to our industry competitors on sustainability performance
Communication & Engagement
- You will develop and maintain relationships with key internal stakeholder groups to ensure awareness of relevant regulatory requirements and current sustainability disclosure trends
- You will engage key internal and external stakeholders including ESG raters and rankers, credit raters to support Definity’s ESG market position
- You will conduct a periodic materiality assessment of the ESG issues most relevant to Definity
- You will support key internal stakeholders in preparation for engagement with investors
- You will support the planning and coordination of events
- You will support the ESG team with general administrative support tasks
What do you bring to this role?
- You have at least 2-3 years of related professional experience in the financial services or audit industry and/or a publicly-listed company
- You have a post-secondary qualification in a related and applicable discipline (business administration, accounting, finance (preferred), sustainability or other relevant programs)
- You have experience with audit & compliance
- You have an interest in Canadian and global sustainability reporting and investment trends, regulatory developments, new standards and initiatives
- You have proven record of effective project management
- Knowledge of sustainability reporting frameworks (e.g. SASB, TCFD, SDGs, GRI, IIRC, MCSI, CDP)
- You bring a positive, joyful attitude to your work and like to have fun
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).