Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Starting in September, Definity employees move to a hybrid work model so we can collaborate, build mentoring relationships, and solve complex or cross-functional business opportunities together. Our teams work in whichever environment best supports what they're working on and who they're working with. We're actively reinventing our offices as welcoming workspaces that optimize collaboration and empower leaders to use our space to strengthen team dynamics. Our tools and processes seamlessly connect employees from multiple locations, and our culture encourages respectful engagement and flexibility. Leaders work with their teams to determine the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their team, cross-functional engagement, responsibilities and timelines, plus those of our customers, our broker partners, and the company culture.
What can you expect in this role?
- General file handling and practice management for both Tort and Accident Benefit matters
- Review documents and prepare summaries for Tort and Accident Benefit matters
- Prepare Affidavit of Documents and other pleadings/documents as assigned
- Prepare LAT Forms and briefs inclusive of LAT Applications / Responses, Case Conference forms and, other documents as assigned
- Draft correspondence to clients, third parties, experts
- Request and manage productions and undertakings inclusive of preparing charts and corresponding with legal counsel
- Support file work by identifying, obtaining, and organizing documents from the clients and from other parties to the litigation
- All aspects of arranging Independent Examinations including retaining experts and preparing briefs for experts.
- Mediation /Trial / Hearing / Arbitration Preparation
- Provide input into the procedures and practices
- Work within a paperless environment
- Perform other duties as required of a Law Clerk
What do you bring to the role?
- Minimum 2 years of experience as a Law Clerk as part of a team practicing insurance litigation and/or Accident Benefit experience in Ontario
- Have an excellent understanding of tort matters (including practice and procedures and the Ontario Rules of Civil Procedure), Accident Benefits (including SABs, FSCO/LAT forms and procedure, and the Dispute Resolution Practice Code), the Rules of Small Claims Court, and Practice Directions of the Ontario Superior Court of Justice
- Strong document management skills with the ability to learn Definity’s various software programs
- Demonstrate proficiency with Outlook and all MS Office applications
- Ability to prioritize, organize and execute tasks in a quality manner with strong turnaround time
- Attention to detail and excellent proof reading ability
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and problem solving skills, listening, organization, as well as taking initiative
- Ability to perform under pressure, meet deadlines and handle multiple, yet sometimes conflicting priorities
- Team player, adaptable to a changing environment
- High degree of personal ethics, integrity and responsibility with an ability to deal with sensitive issues and safeguard privileged and confidential information
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).