Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Starting in September, Definity employees move to a hybrid work model so we can collaborate, build mentoring relationships, and solve complex or cross-functional business opportunities together. Our teams work in whichever environment best supports what they're working on and who they're working with. We're actively reinventing our offices as welcoming workspaces that optimize collaboration and empower leaders to use our space to strengthen team dynamics. Our tools and processes seamlessly connect employees from multiple locations, and our culture encourages respectful engagement and flexibility. Leaders work with their teams to determine the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their team, cross-functional engagement, responsibilities and timelines, plus those of our customers, our broker partners, and the company culture.
What can you expect in this role?
- Have the unique opportunity to support the activities of the Capital Management and Treasury functions, as well as provide occasional support to and work closely with the Corporate Development, Investor Relations and Reinsurance functions
- Support capital management and treasury strategies and execution as a public company, following our IPO in November 2021 (TSE: DFY)
- Work closely with senior leaders, including executives, and with a variety of teams including corporate finance, investments, actuarial, risk and legal as well as external advisors
- Actively participate in capital and treasury activities as a public company, including:
- Raising capital (debt, preferred shares and hybrid securities, equity, etc.)
- Analyzing and optimizing cost of capital
- Shareholder distributions, including dividends and share buybacks
- M&A due diligence, funding and integration
- Support in the annual credit rating process, including drafting management presentations
- Regularly prepare capital management and treasury analysis and support recommendations to senior leaders and the board of directors
- Contribute to monthly, quarterly, and annual forecasting and business plan processes by helping to prepare the investment income, balance sheet, cash flow and capital forecasts
- Support short-term and long-term cash forecasting and monitor cash balances to ensure efficient and appropriate levels of cash
- Assist in the creation of new treasury reporting and analysis to support decision making
- Assess compliance with banking and debt covenants
- Work closely with the Internal audit team to ensure compliance of capital and treasury controls
- Support other ad hoc initiatives or projects, as required
What do you bring to this role?
- University degree in Finance, Accounting, Economics or related field
- 1-3 years work experience (including co-op or internships), in any of the following areas: capital management, treasury, financial statement analysis, forecasting, financial reporting, public accounting, or similar
- Enrolled in CPA / CTP / CFA designation or completed one of the designations
- Excellent communication (written and verbal), analytical and interpersonal skills
- Ability to analyze and understand the implications of business activities on the financial statements
- Ability to research and analyze accounting policies and standards, with specific knowledge and experience with IFRS considered an asset
- Strong Excel and financial modelling skills, with excellent attention to detail and proficient analytical skills
- Ability to produce clear reports and presentations, including strong working knowledge of PowerPoint
- Ability to handle multiple tasks under tight deadlines
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).