Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Starting in September, Definity employees move to a hybrid work model so we can collaborate, build mentoring relationships, and solve complex or cross-functional business opportunities together. Our teams work in whichever environment best supports what they're working on and who they're working with. We're actively reinventing our offices as welcoming workspaces that optimize collaboration and empower leaders to use our space to strengthen team dynamics. Our tools and processes seamlessly connect employees from multiple locations, and our culture encourages respectful engagement and flexibility. Leaders work with their teams to determine the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their team, cross-functional engagement, responsibilities and timelines, plus those of our customers, our broker partners, and the company culture.
YOUR NEXT STEPS AS NEW GRADUATES
From classroom to career, every step of your journey has an impact on your future. That’s why it makes sense to choose a company that offers truly rewarding work and real-life experience. At Definity®, your contributions, creativity, and energy will be put to good use, and you’ll get to be involved with initiatives that support our strategic goals and use your skills in a supportive team environment.
If you’re looking for a company that takes care of its people — full time and part time alike — and has a track record of doing big things, get ready to love it here.
Start date: May or September 2023
Duration: Full Time Position
What you’ll be doing
- Build code design based on requirements, develop application code based on the approved design, test the code and provide the testing and bug fix support through the release lifecycle followed by post-implementation debug support when issues are reported in production
- Responsible for analyzing a broad range of business requirements, conducting program/system research and analysis to identify key components for solutions delivery and problem resolution
- Design and build new applications functions and features, fix existing applications problems and perform unit/component test for new code to ensure they are aligned to business needs and in accordance with technology architecture standards
- Ensure effective communication of solutions development requirements for respective area and contribute to project/sprint plans, estimations, timelines and status updates to support management and scrum team/business partners on prioritizing new and existing initiatives / projects against IT requirements
- Inform key stakeholders of any issues that may impact other areas of the project and resolve or escalate issues as required
- Support business queries and business activities through execution of small enhancements and break/fix implementations
- Support the test team during feature/function demos to the business stakeholders
What you bring
- College diploma in Computer Programming or Undergraduate Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Computer Engineering
- Knowledge of CS fundamentals including data structures, algorithm design and complexity analysis
- Solid understanding of Object-Oriented Programming and Design Patterns.
- Experience in application development experience designing, building and supporting core backend business logic using Java
- Experience working with various Cloud Hosted Platforms (Google Cloud, AWS, Azure, etc)
- Understanding of cloud computing concepts, high level understanding of serverless, lamdbas, kubernetes
- Familiarity with Angular and/or Spring Boot Framework
- Experience working with SQL Queries
- Experience with SOAP/REST frameworks using XML/JSON configuration
- Experience working with GIT, BitBucket Source Control
- Working in large-scale Agile programs within the P&C Insurance industry experience is an asset
- Sound to advanced knowledge of the business, technical environment, standards, processes, procedures, programming languages and operating systems
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- A team player with an ability to own projects and interface with client.
Did you know?
- We care about our new graduates: Definity’s students are considered the best pipeline of talent for our full-time, permanent positions.
- We care about students: Definity distributes $85,000 in scholarships to students across Canada each year.
- We care about our community: Definity donates more than $1 million every year to causes that drive true change in the neighbourhoods in which we live and work.
What can Definity offer you?
- Meaningful work forwarding our purpose of building a better world by helping our clients and communities adapt and thrive in their hardest times of need.
- Culture of accountability, empowerment, and collaboration.
- Opportunities to support personal and professional growth through real-life experience and unique learning opportunities. Our Leadership Essentials program builds knowledge and skills to Team Leaders to Directors
- Opportunity to join our employee groups - focused on women's empowerment, LGBTQ+, anti-racism and cultural equity, and environmental activism
- Determined to create positive change for our environment, our people, and our communities, now and in the future. Check our ESG work!
Visit www.definityfinancial.com to learn more about us and what we’re up to.
Work Location: Hybrid and flexible work location
How to apply: Submit a cover letter, resume, and transcript
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).