Underwriter, Small Business Property
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID : 6138
Category : Commercial Insurance
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Calgary, Canada
Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leaders partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
What can you expect in this role?
Underwriting efficiency and effectiveness
- Assesses risks and accepts, declines, or amends new business submissions, policy endorsements, renewals, etc.
- Understands and aligns decision making to Line of Business and segmentation strategies at Economical.
- With some guidance, develops solutions to achieve profitable growth targets.
- Leverages tools, resources, and reports to appropriately evaluate risks and make effective Underwriting decisions.
- Applies Underwriting judgment and relies on the guidance of senior staff and his/her Team Leader to process moderately complex risks effectively in accordance with corporate policies, Underwriting guidelines, standard operating procedures, and Line of Business and segmentation strategies at Economical.
- Knows how and when to leverage Underwriting Technicians and when to refer or escalate specific transactions/issues to more senior Underwriting stakeholders, as required.
- Reviews Claims activity and takes appropriate action within his/her Underwriting authority level, as required.
- Contacts Brokers, where required, to request additional information, communicate risk acceptances and terms, declines as well as quote follow ups (where applicable) to achieve target hit ratios.
- Provides exceptional service to Brokers for all interactions, and seeks to add value in every Broker interaction.
- Acts as a point of contact for inquiries related to Commercial Property Insurance.
- Routes/escalates Broker inquiries to alternative points of contact within Economical to enable effective and prompt resolution of inquiries, where appropriate.
- System Expertise.
- Effectively manages multiple transactions within the policy case management system, leveraging system functionalities to appropriately route and document processing of transactions.
- Demonstrates deep understanding of the policy administration systems and quoting systems and how functionalities can be used to best respond to Broker inquiries and needs and completes all the required documentation in the system.
- Applies knowledge of document management to access most up-to-date materials, guides and/or tools.
What do you bring to the role?
- University degree in any discipline or a 2-year diploma from a publicly recognized and funded college or a completed CIP designation.
- Excellent customer service skills. Interacts in a way that demonstrates genuine concern and respect for others.
- 2 to 3 years of insurance underwriting experience; commercial underwriting experience is preferred.
- You’re professional, friendly, and courteous in all your interactions, whether with customers or co-workers.
- You perform well in a busy operation and remain calm under pressure.
- You’re a team player who is adaptable to a changing environment.
- You have strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Your organization and time management skills are exceptional.
- You have excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Communicates ideas and concepts effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Fluent English communications skills is an asset.
- Demonstrates team behaviors including conflict resolution, personal and team accountability and commitment.
- High level of initiative, self-motivated, and able to work independently.
- Demonstrated ability to influence others.
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).