Data Specialist/Junior Data Scientist, Personal Insurance - Modelling & Analytics
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID : 6092
Category : Personal Insurance
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Waterloo, Canada
Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leaders partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
What can you expect in this role?
Reporting to a leader on the Modelling & Pricing Analytics team, you will be responsible for developing machine learning pipelines, developing data pipelines or supporting research and development initiatives. Working closely with analytics colleagues, technology teams and business stakeholders, this role will expose you to multiple aspects of the Model and Data Lifecyle management process.
- Develop machine learning models and support the management of models throughout the model lifecycle.
- Develop, monitor, and enhance analytical solutions in collaboration with business stakeholders and IT professionals.
- Effectively plan and manage analytics projects, leading team members through technical work.
- Develop a strong understanding of the insurance business through independent learning and working closely with business stakeholders.
- Continually focus on innovation and process improvement to promote leading practices and efficiency across the organization.
What do you bring to this role?
- University degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Mathematics, or a related discipline.
- 2+ years of experience with statistical programming languages like Python, and database query languages like SQL, Hive or Pig. Familiarity with Scala, Java, or C++ is an asset.
- Significant experience with machine learning techniques like GLM, GAM, XGBoost, Neural Networks, k-NN and SVM, etc.
- Advanced Big Data experience especially with Cloud, Spark Scala/OOP
- Experience with cloud computing platforms such as GCP or AWS is highly desired.
- Experiencing with CI/CD pipelines for deploying data and machine learning models is highly desired.
- Knowledge of Git for version control and collaboration is an asset.
- Experience with developing and implementing analytics solutions.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to develop creative solutions to complex problems.
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).