Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Starting in September, Definity employees move to a hybrid work model so we can collaborate, build mentoring relationships, and solve complex or cross-functional business opportunities together. Our teams work in whichever environment best supports what they're working on and who they're working with. We're actively reinventing our offices as welcoming workspaces that optimize collaboration and empower leaders to use our space to strengthen team dynamics. Our tools and processes seamlessly connect employees from multiple locations, and our culture encourages respectful engagement and flexibility. Leaders work with their teams to determine the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their team, cross-functional engagement, responsibilities and timelines, plus those of our customers, our broker partners, and the company culture.
Reporting to the Data Enablement Manager, EDO this role will be a key member of the EDO, advising business units in executing on Data governance and management initiatives to establish the EDO as a trusted partner. The successful candidate is an individual contributor and also a self-starter. The Data Specialist is empowered to work independently with teams and projects across the organization, supporting the goal to advance Data Management and Data Governance Maturity.
What can you expect in this role?
- Facilitate cross-functional data information gathering and work with others to implement Data Governance and Management initiatives including supporting documentation for requirements, planning and design activities
- Execute the Data change & issue management processes ensuring the appropriate engagement of the required stakeholders; Work with stakeholders to develop practical strategies, plans, and solutions to identified issues and problems
- Work with Data Stewards to develop Data quality rules which highlight potential data errors and anomalies when the rule is triggered
- Ensure prompt and thorough resolution or escalation of Data related issues, decisions, and changes and track issue resolution lifecycle
- Share regular updates with stakeholders regarding proposed solutions, timelines, progress, and issues
- Support Data Governance roles in ensuring compliance with Data governance standards and processes
- Support business units and corporate functions in the assessment of Data Governance and Management needs and help prioritize remediation activities
- Develop and maintain education/communication tools and documents as well as to conduct knowledge sharing sessions on key Data management topics to applicable audiences
What do you bring to the role?
- 2-3 years of experience in Data Governance, Metadata Management, Business Intelligence, or Data Analysis in the insurance / financial services industry; Experience with Data Lineage, Data Cataloging, and/or Data Policy implementation
- University degree required; Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, MIS, Computer Science, or other related disciplines; Understanding of privacy laws and regulations is an asset
- 2-3 years of experience capturing and documenting complex business and functional requirements; Knowledge and understanding of Data Governance challenges and best practices for Metadata, Data Quality, and Data Stewardship
- Exposure to Data Governance or Data Management tools (such as Collibra, IBM IIS, Informatica, etc.) and working knowledge of Big Data, Data Lakes, and the Insurance technology ecosystem
- Experience with Data profiling or defining Data quality rules is an asset
- Ability to identify problems/opportunities, analyze root cause, and present recommendations;
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to identify, quantify, and effectively raise business risks associated with Data governance or non-compliance
- Experience working with multiple teams to drive alignment and results
- Exceptional stakeholder management skills, attention to detail, sense of urgency, and commitment to deadlines
- Proficient in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Previous experience with industry leading record management tools required
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).