This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID : 6101
Category : Finance
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Toronto, Canada
Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leaders partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
Reporting to the Treasury Manager, the Junior Financial Analyst contributes to the company’s success by supporting all aspects of the Treasury function and working closely with the Capital team and other departments including Finance, Investments, Actuarial, Risk, Legal and External advisors.
What can you expect in this role?
- Actively participate in capital and treasury activities as a public company, including:
- Raising capital (debt, preferred shares and hybrid securities, equity, etc.)
- Analyzing and optimizing cost of capital
- Shareholder distributions, including dividends and share buybacks
- Support short-term and long-term cash forecasting of company performance
- Efficient monitoring of cash/bank balances to ensure we maintain adequate levels of cash
- Contribute to monthly, quarterly, and annual forecasting and business plan processes by helping to prepare the investment income, balance sheet, cash flow and capital forecasts
- Assist the banking team with preparation of Bank reconciliations
- Assess compliance with banking and debt covenants
- Work closely with the Internal Audit team to ensure compliance of Treasury controls
- Assist in the preparation of presentation materials
- Support in the annual credit rating process, including drafting management presentations
- Support monthly capital management activities including monitoring and analyzing regular financial reports, investment data, and other information sources to evaluate the capital impact and provide valuable insights
- Work closely with Capital Management, Investments, Corporate Development, Investor Relations, and other Finance functions to support company initiatives
- Provide Capital Management/Treasury support for M&A initiatives (M&A due diligence, capital analysis, funding and integration support)
- Support other ad hoc initiatives or projects, as required
What do you bring to this role?
- Bachelors in Finance, Accounting, Economics or related field
- 0-3 years work experience (including co-op or internships), in an accounting, treasury or finance-related role
- Enrolled in or completion of one of: CPA / CTP /CFA designation
- Excellent communication (written and verbal), analytical and interpersonal skills
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, managing multiple tasks under tight deadlines
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).