Solution Architect - Data
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID : 6073
Category : Technology Solutions
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Kitchener, Canada
Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leaders partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
With a growing demand for data across the organization, the Data Platforms & Engineering team is looking for a Data Solution Architect to expand and mature our existing capabilities. The Data Solution Architect will serve as the lead architect and expert for our greenfield cloud platform and on-prem Hadoop platform. This individual will deal with complex, interrelated applications and will work with rapidly evolving technologies and internal stakeholders to analyze and define unique and innovative solutions for achieving strategic business goals
What can you expect in this role?
- Providing thought leadership and drive architecture and design on the data platforms
- Performing analysis on existing architecture, data pipelines, processes, and providing recommendations
- Ensuring effective design and development in alignment of the enterprise strategic direction
- Designing and implementing scalable Big Data architecture solutions for various application and business needs.
- Analyzing multiple sources of structured and unstructured data to propose and design data architecture solutions for scalability, high availability, fault tolerance, and elasticity
- Supporting delivery of solutions by providing insights to the application development teams and project managers that plan and execute delivery activities
- Ensuring standards and security compliance for data environments.
- Build interim and target Design & Architecture in alignment with business strategy & road map
- Build best practices and frameworks for migration from on-premise to cloud platform
- Partner with Enterprise Data Office (EDO) in advancing Data Governance practices across the organization
- Partner with Enterprise Architecture in the development of data strategy, roadmaps, framework & standards
- Assist architects in the design and implementation of high-performance systems with large volume data integration processes, database, storage and provisioning
What do you bring to the role?
- Expertise in data architecture, data lakes, analytics, and big data
- Experience in data solution design, development, design patterns and refactoring
- Extensive experience with a cloud service provider (ie. AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Extensive experience with a Hadoop based data platform (ie. Cloudera)
- Experience developing reference architecture, principles and standards
- Experience with migration of workloads to cloud
- Experience building security framework on cloud for data at rest, in motion and access level control
- Knowledge of relational and dimensional modeling techniques
- Deep knowledge of data management, data integration, and database development techniques
- Ability to relate architectural decisions and recommendations to business needs
- Ability to apply Data Governance principles while building data assets and processes
- Strong desire and a track record in the discovery, evaluation and selection of innovative applications and technologies
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to communicate across all levels of the organization and work with diverse projects teams
- Experience in a similar capacity or an interesting story that bridges that gap
- Comfortable in a rapid paced, ever-changing environment. We have ambitious plans and we need leaders to help drive our vision
- This is a team sport and we’re looking for collaborators
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).