Sr Specialist, Cloud & Infrastructure Engineering - Database Administrator
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID : 6063
Category : Technology Solutions
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Kitchener, Canada
Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leaders partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
What can you expect in this role?
- Be responsible for providing operational and project logical database support to the organization
- As a DBA, we are looking for you to be a highly competent and highly motivated individual working in support of internally developed applications as well as COTS solutions
- Working with delivery teams, you will use your expertise to design database subsystems and schemas
- You will work proactively with various teams to identify and resolve application performance issues
What do you bring to the role?
- University Degree or college diploma in computer science, information systems or a related discipline
- Minimum 5 years experience in Logical Database Administration
- Experience in Oracle Cloud and/or AWS
- Expertise in Oracle, MS SQLServer, Aurora, DynamoDB, and Knowledge of Terraform
- A self-starter that is highly focused on customer service
- Experience working in a fast-paced project environment.
- Ability to troubleshoot and resolve reported database problems.
- Experience in Performance Tuning and Optimization (PTO), using native monitoring and troubleshooting tools.
- Experience in the design of backups, High Availability (HA) and disaster recovery (DR) options.
- Knowledge of database security best practices
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal staff and external vendors.
- Ability to follow defined Incident, Problem and Change Management Processes
- Experience with either Oracle EBusiness Suite or DB2 databases in a production environment is an asset
- Cloud Certification is a plus
- Database architecture experience is an asset
- P&C industry experience an asset
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).