Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Starting in September, Definity employees move to a hybrid work model so we can collaborate, build mentoring relationships, and solve complex or cross-functional business opportunities together. Our teams work in whichever environment best supports what they're working on and who they're working with. We're actively reinventing our offices as welcoming workspaces that optimize collaboration and empower leaders to use our space to strengthen team dynamics. Our tools and processes seamlessly connect employees from multiple locations, and our culture encourages respectful engagement and flexibility. Leaders work with their teams to determine the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their team, cross-functional engagement, responsibilities and timelines, plus those of our customers, our broker partners, and the company culture.
In this role, you will:
- Manage a team of ITSM professionals including resource assignments, and have oversight for all work deliverables, HR people management accountabilities and identifying and supporting technical and professional development for the team members. Accountable for the support of all production incidents, problems, changes and releases from a governance and risk accountability. Provide a heads up of pending issues and identify options to resolve issues, as well as technical leadership and guidance beyond own team. This Technology Manager is an expert in the ITIL framework and coaches, trains and mentors the team on such.
- Build an effective partnership with the various technology teams and partners to ensure adherence to the processes and standards defined. Manage and ensure adherence to SLAs and SLOs from all internal and partners of Definity. This Manager is accountable for the oversight, governance, planning and continuous improvement of the ITSM role which is accomplished through industry knowledge, trend insight and company metrics.
- The ITSM Manager understands the internal and external landscape for standards and practices related to the ITIL framework and is involved in its planning and execution for the overall Technology Solutions (TS) portfolio. The Manager provides updates to Technology Solutions as applicable and stays abreast of relevant industry and global trends. The Manager provides coaching and mentoring to direct reports and team members and promotes a positive and professional team environment.
Leadership and Values
- Provide leadership to plan and execute strategy for business value and team growth
- Visibly support the development and fostering of a defined TS culture, creating a winning brand
- Promote the Definity Code of Business Conduct and Values and consistently model behaviour aligned to these principles and values
People Management & Development
- Provide coaching, development succession, recruitment, resource management and overall team leadership for all team members and provide regular input into team members' assessment of performance and development plans
- Grow team expertise to align with corporate demand and Definity's technology direction; assess teams' skills and capabilities and support the career development of individual team members to help them achieve their potential and contribute to the success of Definity
- Create, promote and support a positive work environment that promotes service to the business, quality, innovation and teamwork and ensure timely communication of issues/points of interest
Strategy & Planning
- Understand business and technology strategies/roadmaps and lead/participate in TS roadmap development. Lead team members in the execution of applicable TS roadmaps by defining specific goals, objectives and work tasks/accountabilities for each team member and partner with TS peers and business teams to ensure alignment to Definity's strategic business goals
- Provide oversight and guidance for ongoing Resource Management for the team by ensuring: solid understanding of work demand and capacity requirements; staffing plans; assignment of resources with the appropriate skills/capabilities (leverage both internal resources and external partners); management of work assignments and staff performance
Key Goals and Objectives
- Accountable for managing technical resources in the delivery of secure, highly available, stable and responsive IT operations to his / her customers, and is responsible for maintaining operational performance.
- Provides consistent, best practice ITIL-based services (incident, problem, release, change, performance and capacity management) as per negotiated service level agreements, and is the primary escalation point for service processes outlined in the service catalogue.
- Ensure adherence to all Incident/Problem/Change/Release processes impacting the production environment for Definity. This is by way of audits, metric reporting and escalations of all technology solutions staff and partners. Provide both leadership and technical guidance to the team.
- Ensure robust planning and prioritization of work tasks for the team for effective and efficient support and actively manage and monitor adjusting priorities, as required.
- Manage team and partners' adherence to applicable standards, policies and KPIs, SLAs and SLOs
- Collaborate with Management to ensure alignment of priorities, approaches, and activities to effectively deliver on overall TS team objectives
- Able to execute as a senior team member and provide technical leadership and guidance beyond my own team
- Ensure the team is actively minimizing company risk and audit non-compliance issues and escalate where needed.
- Participate in the creation & management of the functional budget and report on actual costs and forecast regularly through the fiscal year
- Lead the team to execute approved and funded work in the most cost-effective manner to meet corporate and customer needs
- Ensure overtime costs and Clarity entries are managed appropriately. Consistently review costs for overtime to minimize the impact to the operations budget and ensure they are being associated to the correct Clarity project/task.
- Build strong relationships with business and TS partners across all teams and work collaboratively to protect and reduce impacts to technology services in support of our business.
- Ensure we gather and understand the business impact during an outage and properly communicate in order to provide quality services to those impacted
- Actively manage relationships with outside service providers
Your Skills and Experience
- Expert knowledge of the ITIL Framework with solid knowledge of the following:
- SLA/SLO Reporting
- Contract/PIM Review and Updating
- Windows (Word, Excel, PPT)
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Undergraduate degree in business, computer science or a related discipline
- 4+ years of people management experience
- 7+ years of experience in a related field, with a strong emphasis on service management across two or more ITIL-based practices (e.g., incident, problem, release, change, performance and capacity management)
- Experience in communicating with and working directly with senior leaders
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to build and maintain effective relationships with business partners, vendors and TS teams to achieve results
- Ability to multi-task and effectively manage to compete and changing priorities while maintaining timelines, quality and meeting customer expectations
- Experience developing and managing a high-performing team of technology professionals that includes creating and promoting a work environment and culture that supports the learning, engagement and development of all team members
- Demonstrated track record of delivering technology solutions/services outcomes through team members in specific technical functions/domains/areas of specialty
- Strong drive for action and results-oriented with a natural sense of urgency
- Ability to lead through ambiguity set targets and objectives for the team and deliver results
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).